LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify Control (creating a pressure gauge)

Hi guys,

Looking for some help modifying a control.  I'm wanting to create a pressure indicator by using a photo of the gauge I have in my test setup.

The gauge goes from -30 to 0 inHg, to 30 psig.  The divisions/scale, therefore is not consistantly spaced between each gauge face mark.

How do I get the labview scale to reflect what I actually have on my gauge?  Also, I need the background of the picture to match the background of my front panel (I picked a green color).....I only have MS Paint and MS Word on this pC that gives me any photo editing capabilities....but I have access to paintshop.

I'm using LABVIEW 8.5.  I have 8.6, but haven't installed it yet. 

Thanks

Darren

screen shot

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(4,268 Views)

Derick Snyder reciently gave a presentation on the how's and what's of custom controls.  In the link: LabVIEWUI Tips and Tricks Part II Slides (Derrick's presentation, full version): you will find a link to his presentation with a simillar control customization (he turned a guage into a stopwatch but the method would be simillar)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(4,258 Views)

My company firewall is terribly restrictive.  Is there any chance you can post that presentation here?   I can't even access the link.

Othewise, I'll do this at home........

thanks

Darren

Message 3 of 23
(4,250 Views)

It's pretty large and embedded in a user group area.

Let see If I can get some assistance to help you get at the presentation without clogging the forum.

Oh, Laura F.   Any way you can assist the OP in getting at that excellant presentation?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(4,246 Views)

That would be great.

I'd even take an email if you care to try?  Although, there's a good chance it'll get blocked too.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(4,239 Views)

I don't think the presentation can be emailed - it's 50 MB!

Can you access and download from the NI FTP site?  If so, I'll upload it there so you can get it.

Thanks,

Laura

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(4,229 Views)

I would double-check first, it appears that the most interesting part for the OP is actually a demo which is not contained in the PPT file.

Converting to PDF should drop the file size by at least a factor of 10, haven't tried it but I have used PPT enough to know.

Appears to have been an extremely interesting user group meeting.  Smiley Surprised

Message 7 of 23
(4,225 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:

I would double-check first, it appears that the most interesting part for the OP is actually a demo which is not contained in the PPT file.

Converting to PDF should drop the file size by at least a factor of 10, haven't tried it but I have used PPT enough to know.

Appears to have been an extremely interesting user group meeting.  Smiley Surprised

It was-  Almost as informative as the OO presentation by Steve Mercer (I think that presentation is in the UG site too):smileywink:

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(4,222 Views)

This won't be any help to you, but I wrote the program for the CNC laser that etched the dial of the gauge in your picture.  😄  (If the gauge is less than ten or twelve years old, anyway.  It might be from a photographic process or an ink (printed) dial, but most dials on that type gauge are mine.)

The divisions are slightly non-linear, anyway, in addition to the different units of measure between the vacuum and pressure parts.  You might not see it, but don't get frustrated if you position your virtual pointer at an angle calculated for a particular pressure and see that it's not quite on the graduation mark.  These gauges, like many analog gauge dials, are intentionally made non-linear to improve the accuracy.  The most accurate analog gauges (0.1% FS) have custom non-linearities based on dead-weight tests with protractor dials.

Thanks for bringing back old memories. 🙂

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 9 of 23
(4,211 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

This won't be any help to you, but....Smiley Wink

Thanks for bringing back old memories. 🙂

SO COOL!

Sorry that you did not have a LabVIEW app for that back thenSmiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(4,202 Views)