LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mixed signal graph: Displaying digital busses

If I use the Group Digital Signals VI to gather digital input signals into busses, and I connect its output to a Digital Waveform Graph, I am able to display the resulting output as busses, or as "busses with lines". When I connect the same output to a Mixed Signal Display, I don't seem to have any ability to display busses at all - the only option seems to be to display all of the inputs as lines. Is there a method by which the busses can be displayed in a Mixed Signal Display?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,497 Views)

Hi Barry_Wealand,

This is Mike Watts in Applications Engineering at National Instruments. What version of LabVIEW are you using? I built a sample VI that uses the Group Digital Signals VI and outputs 8 lines of digital data combined into a bus and the bus appears on my Mixed Signal Display. Below is a screenshot of my setup. Could you possibly explain a bit more about your particular situation or provide a screenshot? Thanks!

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Mike Watts
Product Manager - Modular Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,448 Views)

Hi, Mike -

Thanks for your reply - this restores hope that I might be able to get this to work. However, when I tried your identical code, I end up with a mixed signal display that shows only the lines, not the bus, and I don't see any options that would allow me to change this (see attached).

As for version information, I'm using LabVIEW 2012, Service Pack 1.

Barry Wealand

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,440 Views)

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the quick response and image. Can you please reply with a screenshot of your Group Digital Signals VI configuration window and the code? 

Regards,

Mike Watts
Product Manager - Modular Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,436 Views)

Sure, no problem - see attached. I believe this should all be identical to your example.

Barry

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,429 Views)

I just discovered that if I right-click on one of the "Line" signal names, I can uncheck "Expand Digital Busses" and get a bus display instead of the line display, though I still can't get both at the same time. The bus is still named "Line 0" by default, but I can change the name. This is probably all I need for now - I don't need bus-and-line capability for the current application.

Thanks for your help, Mike!

Barry

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,417 Views)

Now a new issue arises when I attempt to place more than one bus on a Mixed Signal Graph. The code and front panel screenshots are enclosed. Each of the "group digital signals" VIs is configured the same as the yours. Only the trace for the second bus shows up on the display. I've changed the names from the default "Digital 0->Line 0" (both busses orignally had this name) to "Bus 0" and "Bus 1". Both busses show up in the "Group 0" tree on the left, but only the latter is displayed. When I right-click on the bus names in the tree, both "Plot Visible" options are checked.

Barry

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,406 Views)

I tried duplicating the code and was seeing the same behavior as you.  But just now I was playing with it and realized Mike's message is missing an important step.  When the dialog box is open, select all of the lines, then drag them up and drop them onto the bus line.  Then the results look like what is shown in Mike's post.  Without doing that, you essentially have 1 empty bus and 8 individual lines.  Doing that drag and drop turns it into a bus consisting of 8 lines.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,399 Views)

I did not leave out that step, though I did not select all of the lines at once - I dragged them one at a time. Just for fun, I'll try selecting them all at once.

Barry

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,392 Views)

On your earlier screenshots, are you sure you dragged and dropped the lines?

I did not drag and drop the lines, and my dialog box and the results looked exactly like what your screenshots showed.

After I dragged and dropped all the lines, then it looked like Mike's screenshot.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,387 Views)