LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing or blank .exe icon

A similar inquiry was posted in an old post (http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=178926) but does not seem to ever have been answered or solved. I'm running LV 8.6.1  I create and save a custom icon using the Icon Editor in the project environment.  I then specify that my custom icon be used instead of the default LabView icon associated with my LV .exe application file.  However after I run my application installer (which is successful) I see that my application DOES appear in the Start/Programs/My_Application/... list, but there is no associated icon for the .exe program visible.  That's the problem.  If I go back to the project and check the box that says Use Default LabView icon then, of course, the default icon does appear. However my custom icon does not.   Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I'm probably doing something wrong. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,403 Views)
The first thing that comes to mind is did you supply your .exe with an icon for that size? For example I provided an icon for 16x16, 32x32 and 64x64
Message Edited by elset191 on 01-19-2010 03:04 PM
--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,392 Views)

In the ICON editor, I see only 2 choices of bit-depth and resolution from which to create an ICON. 32x32, 16 colors and 16x16, 16 colors.  I merely created an icon using the first choice, 32x32, 16 colors and saved it as a .ico file. Then, subsequently, after un-checking the default icon box I merely selected my newly created .ico file that was added to my project.  I did not choose any one particular setting from the icon image pulldown that lists 12 different icon resolutions and color depth.  Does that have to match the .ico file type? And should I also be specifying more than one .ico file for that matter? 

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,383 Views)

I use 8.6 and this is what I see in my editor.

untitled.PNG

I have made a version for each of the three options all within the same .ico file. As you can see there are insert and delete buttons so i could create an icon for more or less resolutions.  Again, these are all in the same .ico file.  And I'm not sure what I would see when it looks for a resolution i didn't supply.  It may or may not be invisible.  I'm not entirely sure if this is the issue you're having or not.

Message Edited by elset191 on 01-20-2010 09:05 AM
--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,354 Views)
Yes, you need at least the 16x16 and 32x32 and they should both be in the same file.
Message 5 of 7
(5,347 Views)

It appears that including BOTH a 16x16 and 32x32 in the same .ico file has fixed the problem as was suggested. An icon does appear associated with my application target .exe file.  However, for whatever reason, the icon that appears in the LV project explorer window associated with the actual .ico file itself still appears as a 'blank' space. But as long as I've been able to produce a displayable icon for my .exe file I'm satisfied with the results.

Thanks for the help.

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,326 Views)

Hi Ed,

Please go ahead and mark which post solved your problem so that other users can quickly find the solution.  Thanks!!

Marti C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
NI Medical
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,313 Views)