LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing information on .dbc files explored through NI-XNET Database Editor

Dear Labview Users,

using the NI-XNET database editor I am not able to find some information on CAN description that I can found using other software (e.g. Vector CANdb++). In particular, I am not able to find the node referred by each frame and the description (as "enumeration") of the values of signals (e.g. 0 means "OFF", 1 means "ON")

I am also not able to find these pieces of information using the NI-XNET palette, for a correct interpretation of signals received.

Unfortunately, I cannot share screenshots since they contain property information of customer's communication protocol

Thank you very much for your support

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,456 Views)

The functionality you're referring to is "value tables" in Vector CANdb++ which I don't believe exists in NI-XNET database editor.

Workarounds I've used in the past are enums, or you can also use a variant and a string to create a lookup table. It would be a nice feature to have though.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,402 Views)

You can get to these parameters. You need to use the "XNET Database Get DBC Attribute (signal).vi to get them.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,396 Views)

You need to make sure you are sending the signal reference to the vi to get the correct values.

Here is how I strip the DBC file to a table so I can interact with it. I do get all of the values.

Example.png

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,393 Views)

May I ask you where have you found that "NI-XNET info" vi? Is it a custom vi made by you?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,391 Views)

Yes. I made this for the CAN stuff that we do.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,388 Views)

I posted my code to show you the flow of what you should be doing to get to the table values that you are looking for. If you drill down from ECU to frames to signals you should be able to get where you want to get using the VI's that NI provides with XNET.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,384 Views)