LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minor bug: disappearing coersion dots

I was working with an array of double going into a cluster with a few different data types. I inserted "to single" on the top wire.  All of my coersion dots disappeared and it caught me by surprise.

Note that this is strictly a visual bug... and saving the VI brings the coersion dots back - which is why I posted a screenshot instead of a snip.  Still thought it worth mentioning.

Coersion Bug.PNG

Edit:  Removed useless information...

Message 1 of 8
(3,027 Views)

Interestingly enough, if I do a BD cleanup, LabVIEW is coerced into showing the dots again.  (Pun definitely coerced and  intended.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 2 of 8
(3,010 Views)

Which version of LabVIEW is this?

Can you share the VI that does this?

What if you don't do a BD cleanup, but just scroll the window so that that part of the code goes off screen and comes back again.

(Wondering if it is some sort of redraw bug and forcing a redraw fixes it.)

Message 3 of 8
(2,998 Views)

Along the same lines an RavensFan:

I'm wondering if they are redrawn poorly.  I can't test it myself right now (I did something bad to LabVIEW playing around with a VIA test vi so, I may need a reboot to blow out a vi that blows up the IDE when loaded) ARGH

So, try to change the bundle by name to:

• Short/ No names
  • Bundle (not by name)

EDIT: LabVIEW 2016 up again.  Al you need is one wire bend to work around the issueSmiley SurprisedSmiley Surprised

Capturenodots.PNG

Capturedots.PNG

And it does not really matter which wire is bent going into the bundle by nameSmiley Surprised

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 8
(2,982 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

Which version of LabVIEW is this?

Can you share the VI that does this?

What if you don't do a BD cleanup, but just scroll the window so that that part of the code goes off screen and comes back again.

(Wondering if it is some sort of redraw bug and forcing a redraw fixes it.)

I actually just made a simple cluster of a few different types of numerics for the experiment above.  I am using LV 2015 SP1.  I tried the ol' scroll trick (that was my first guess) and I couldn't coerce LabVIEW into showing the dots again.  Interestingly enough, it also happens if the result of the coercion also needs to be coerced.  In this case, you get a coercion dot on that cluster input, but all the others go away.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,981 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Along the same lines an RavensFan:

I'm wondering if they are redrawn poorly.  I can't test it myself right now (I did something bad to LabVIEW playing around with a VIA test vi so, I may need a reboot to blow out a vi that blows up the IDE when loaded) ARGH

So, try to change the bundle by name to:

• Short/ No names
  • Bundle (not by name)

EDIT: LabVIEW 2016 up again.  Al you need is one wire bend to work around the issueSmiley SurprisedSmiley Surprised

Capturenodots.PNG

Capturedots.PNG

And it does not really matter which wire is bent going into the bundle by nameSmiley Surprised

Interestingly enough, this DOESN'T work in LV 2015!  But doing just about anything to the bundle by name fixes it, inclding deleting the output cluster or adding one.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,971 Views)

LabVIEW 16f2, moving the function to force wire bends did not recharge the coercion dots.

Hitting Ctrl and the run arrow forced a recompile and that brought the dots back.  Also interesting, I have constant folding turned on.   The constant folding hashmarks disappeared with the coercion dots.  Forcing a recompile or adding subtracting a wire caused the dots to show correctly and the constant folding hashmarks to return.

This feels to me a somewhat of a bug where certain changes aren't being completely detected in the compile process, and only doing something that forces a recompile updates the display correctly.  So more of a "compile" visual bug rather than a simple graphical visual bug.

Message 7 of 8
(2,951 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

LabVIEW 16f2, moving the function to force wire bends did not recharge the coercion dots.

I must have been unclear. (I can see that) start with a coersion dot that is on the BBN top or bottom.

Capture Start.PNG

Capture.PNG

There is some other additional factor I can't duplicate.  Interesting find on constant folding indication.  Toss an AC in there and

Capture Start.PNG

Amazingly copying a constant does not produce a constantSmiley Surprised

Spoiler
Some days LabVIEW Scares me

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,933 Views)