cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from Phar Lap- to-NI Linux Real-Time

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear Experts,

Currently  we have nearly 4-5 PXIe 8840 Quad Core Controllers working in Phar Lap RT OS and as we all aware that  " Support for Phar Lap on Real-Time PXI hardware is removed from 2022 Q2 Release of NI Software. Customers cannot develop Phar Lap PXI applications in this version of NI Software , or any subsequent release"

I need to understand the process involved in migrating from Phar Lap RT OS to NI Linux Real Time.

Does all the PXI cards (NI PXIe 6624,NI PXIe 6514,NI PXIe 4322 and other relevant cards) supports without any issue?

Does Same license will support or do we need to upgrade the license?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,294 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PalanivelThiruvenkadam

The only license we'd be needing in this case is for the latest version of LabVIEW Real time which supports Linux RT (From LV 2019)

Also, Wecan revert to Pharlap at any point in time later. However, we just need to have compatible software stack on the host system which will work with Pharlap.

Also please note that converting from Pharlap to Linux RT will format the hard disk of the PXIe-8840, so if we have any important files on it, please take a backup of the same. Additionally, if we're using a LabVIEW application for Pharlap, We will have to re-build it to be able to use it with Linux RT.

Provisioning a PXIe Controller to the NI Linux Real-Time Operating System 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,235 Views)

What about those of us that use LabWindows/CVI for real-time deployment?  I would have stuck with Pharlap but I couldn't communicate with a 9179 cDAQ chassis.  I tried to upgrade all my software and deployed Linux RT to a PXI only to find that there is no support for LabWindows/CVI Real-Time module for Linux RT.  I hope this is not the case.  I'm waiting for my sales guy to get back with me.

Issue Details

My cDAQ chassis cannot be detected under Pharlap RT after upgrading DAQmx driver to 19.0 and above. Why does it happen? 

Solution

According to the file about NI-DAQmx readme update, CompactDAQ chassis support on Phar Lap was discontinued entirely as of NI-DAQmx 19.0. So you need to use Linux RT to detect cDAQ chassis with DAQmx 19.0 or higher.

Does that mean I can just stick with all my old versions and still use a 9179 on Pharlap?  This is why I avoid updating drivers.  It always creates a bunch of issues and I spend days trying to get the project to work again.  Now NI wants a subscription when I try to upgrade as seldom as possible to avoid stuff like this.

Programming Data Acquisition and Control in Measurement Studio and Labwindows/CVI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,203 Views)