LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Word Report causes crash

Hi all.

I'm using the Report Generation toolkit to write some data to a MS Word file. On several computers here, this works just fine, both in development and as an executable.

However, on two computers, I keep getting the following error.Word Error.png

This is not exactly a LabView or National Instruments Error. It looks like a Windows error, but it's definitely being caused by my LV program.

The software works well enough to open the Word file and display it, however, it fails on the next operation which is "Word Find & Replace.vi"

I tried the solution suggested for the "Error 7" problem, but that did not fix it.

(http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8A0E6274D9BD7B1986256F62006AD402?OpenDocument)

I appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,874 Views)

LandBelenky, 

In order to properly diagnose this error that you're seeing, we're going to need to get some more information from you. Can you identify any possible differences between the computers that your program runs correctly on and the two that do not? What version of Office do you have on all of the computers that are involved? Do you have .NET installed? Was it developed in 32 or 64 bit OS? Are they running everything from the development environment? 

Also, if the two computers that crash have LabVIEW installed on them, have you tried running the source code on them? That can give us a better idea if it's a problem with the code itself or if it is the Windows OS on those two specific computers. 

Huntington W
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

***Don't forget to give Kudos and Accepted as Solution where it is deserved***
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,850 Views)

I think you might be on to something with the .NET framework.

I have asked my IT department to look into that.

All the computers in question have MS Office 2007, with the "Trust Access to the VBA Project Object Model" option enabled.

Windows XP is used on some computers that work and some that don't. (Win7 is on one comptuer that works).

The software was written in LV2011. Only one computer has the development environment. The rest only have the executable. On some of these, it works, on others, it doesn't.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the .NET and report back.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,837 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,815 Views)

Currently, I'm on one of the computers that crashes.  (We'll call her "Emily.")

This is running Windows XP Pro. It does not have LabView installed, but it does sucessfully run a variety of LabView programs (compiled to .exe and installed via an installer.)

We just updated the Windows .NET framework from 2.5 to 4.0 Extended, but this did not fix the problem.

It has Microsoft Office 2007.

The software the causes the crash is relatively simple.  It reads a data file, does a few calculations and then tries to write the results to a Word file using search and replace.  It opens and displays the Word file just fine, but crashes when trying to do the search and replace.

The error creates a .dmp file and an error log.   The .dmp file is attached, but I don't know what format it is in. (I had to change the extension to .txt to get it to upload, but it should be .dmp)

I really appreciate any help.

Here is the error log:

####
#Date: Thu, Sep 13, 2012 1:05:19 PM
#OSName: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3
#OSVers: 5.1
#OSBuild: 2600
#AppName: 11182R01
#Version: 11.0.1 32-bit
#AppKind: AppLib
#AppModDate: 08/16/2012 21:05 GMT
#LabVIEW Base Address: 0x30000000

9/13/2012 1:05:44.234 PM
Crash 0x0: Crash caught by NIER
File Unknown(0) : Crash: Crash caught by NIER
minidump id: 1ec6df86-26e4-4cc0-8a93-c2c070d1e7ab
ExceptionCode: 0xC0000005„N
0x3072DE84 - lvrt <unknown> + 0
0x3072E238 - lvrt <unknown> + 0
0x7C37FDB4 - MSVCR71 <unknown> + 0
0x7C83AB50 - kernel32 <unknown> + 0
0x00000000 - 11182R01 <unknown> + 0

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,814 Views)

LandBelenky,

Try and makean executable that performs all of the same functions, except for the one that you think is producing the issue (Search & Replace). What are the results? You might want to consider downloading a trial version of LabVIEW on the computers that are giving you the issues and run the code in LabVIEW in order to see if you are getting the same behavior. 

Huntington W
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

***Don't forget to give Kudos and Accepted as Solution where it is deserved***
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,807 Views)