Did you mean: 

Micrologix 1400 - MODBUS

Hi,

I'm currently developing a project that uses the following hardware/software:

• PC;
  • LV16;
  • DSC Module;
  • Micrologix 1400 PLC.

My goal is to read only two addresses in the Micrologix 1400: N10:5 and N10:8. As far as I have searched, there are 3 ways to develop the communication:

• OPC Server;
  • MODBUS;
  • TCP/IP.

The first option, OPC Server, is out of question, because of limited budget. However, everytime I search for a guide, I end up in a solution that uses OPC Server. The only solutions that do not use OPC Server are not well explained.

So, my questions are the following:

• Can I use MODBUS to communicate my PC with my PLC?
  • If yes, how do I map the tags and the addresses, i.e, in this example, NI explains how to set up a communication. However, it does not specify how I can map the address with the register. Like, I want to read the N10:5 value, how do I set up this configuration?
  • Can I use TCP/IP?
  • If yes, how do I map the tags and the addresses?

It is important for me to only use the softwares/hardwares I described above, any other purchases are out of question.

Kind regards,

André Kruger

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,548 Views)

You can use the MODBUS capabilities of the Micrologix 1400. You will have to configure MODBUS TCP in RSlogix and use a couple of rungs of ladder logic to map your N registers to the MODBUS registers. I'm not at a computer with RSLogix but I think the MODBUS configuration is under controller properties or communication properties.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,485 Views)

Hello andkrugeralves,

Did you try something similar these links below?

Modbus configuration example for an Allen Bradley Micrologix 1400
http://www.mesta-automation.com/modbus-configuration-example-for-an-allen-bradley-micrologix-1400/#p...

Setting up the Allen Bradley Micrologix 1100 & 1400 for Communications via Modbus RTU Slave
http://www.plcengineers.com/micrologix_modbus_rtu.html

I don't know if I am correct, but I understood that you have first to configure the adresses inside RSlogix, as jbesselm said, and as showed on links above. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,473 Views)