From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro-Nuggets !!! ~~~~ Post 'em if you got 'em

I just got very excited when I accidentally discovered this trick...

When on the icon editor, if you double click the rectangle or filled rectangle, it automatically puts a rectangle around the whole icon area. I've been clicking and dragging for years!

Message 351 of 361
(2,999 Views)

I'm sure you already went double clicking every thing, but the text can change the font size and style, and the select selects all, as well as fill fills all.

Message 352 of 361
(2,991 Views)

Allen shared this with me today, for any NIPM users...

When you have NI Package Manager open, it will not automatically refresh if a feed is updated. I thought the only way was to close and re-open the client.

Simply press F5 and it will refresh for you!

Message 353 of 361
(2,643 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

The logic, in my VI at least, is as follows:

If the current executable is 64 bit, the OS MUST be 64 bit

Yeah. Until we get an 128 bit OS at least.  Maybe NI are working on an AS/400 port of LabVIEW? Smiley LOLSmiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Message 354 of 361
(2,595 Views)

This is probably old news to many, but I found that "Format into String" can format a boolean input as a string, resulting in either "FALSE" or "TRUE". It can also do enums which I have been using for a while, but I was excited to find out that booleans worked too.

Capture.PNG

Message 355 of 361
(2,303 Views)

@Gregory wrote:

This is probably old news to many, but I found that "Format into String" can format a boolean input as a string, resulting in either "FALSE" or "TRUE". It can also do enums which I have been using for a while, but I was excited to find out that booleans worked too.

Capture.PNG

Funny thing is - I only found this out maybe a week or two ago, myself.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 356 of 361
(2,255 Views)

And if you only want a F or T just change the format string into

%.1s

Has AFAIK worked as long as the function exists.

As for the numeric result I always used %d. Seemed more logical and one less format specifier to learn.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 357 of 361
(2,223 Views)

You can download the NIPM API through VIPM. I like to use this to make applications automatically check for an update (new package) when they are run.

0 Kudos
Message 358 of 361
(1,880 Views)

Uh...interesting choice.  Personally I would have expected NI to distribute an API for NIPM by installing it through...NIPM...Still glad there is an API.  Would you still recommend this post for an example, or is there something newer?

0 Kudos
Message 359 of 361
(1,860 Views)

That is still a good starting point. They have updated the API with some of my suggestions. Now, the installation process automatically tries to run as administrator. Also, before you had to do some sorting and comparisons to find if an update is available, but now they have better features for that.

Also, something I still need to add to my code... If the package was built with a newer version of NIPM, the target computer often (always?) has to update NIPM before installing the package. It's not a huge deal, but of course it caused an error when I was trying to show my boss how cool this auto-updater is 🙄

0 Kudos
Message 360 of 361
(1,851 Views)