cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messed up text on Windows 10 machine

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All!

I have been away from actually doing LabVIEW for a bit this past 12 months. I had been working on a project in LabVIEW 2018 on a laptop running WIndows 7, but have had to move to my new Laptop running Windows 10. When I opened up my project on this new machine, the text is truncated/overlapping on the "project" page. Both machines have 1920X1080 displays, and it is set to display at 100%  I seem to remember having dealt with this previously in the two decades I have been "LabVIEWing"  but ...

Thanks in advance

LV_Pro_0-1615571913805.png

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 24
(1,931 Views)

Both machines have 1920X1080 displays, and it is set to display at 100% 

I would double check those window settings... for both monitors. LabVIEW cannot handle different zoom factors on different monitors.

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Message 2 of 24
(1,919 Views)

Both are set the same. I suspect that Windows 10 uses a system font that isn't the same as that used by Win 7, think I read that on the interweb, but also see that it apparently requires messing with the Registry, something I am loath to do on this machine until I have exhausted other possibilities.

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 24
(1,910 Views)

Crickets ---    I know many stayed up late to watch the Ameica's Cup racing in New Zealand, but ...   😉

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 24
(1,812 Views)

So ... how about those America's Cup foiling sailboats?      

Has anyone, NI included, dealt with this system font issue?

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 24
(1,788 Views)

That looks like a 200% scaling. There's some option of Set custom test size (DPI) which might need to use Windows XP scaling, or absolutely not. 

I remember having some similar issue where the standard 150% didn't work correctly, but a custom 150% did. Tzeentch knows why.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 24
(1,778 Views)

Yes, I have seen this once... a long time ago.  I wasn't pleased.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! We are trained experts with years of experience.   Follow appropriate backup policies. 

Things to try

• With LabVIEW closed Rename the .lvlps and delete the .aliases files

Didn't work?

• Close LabVIEW and open the LabVIEW.ini in a text editor.  Mess with the font keys ( the LabVIEW wiki, linked top of board, has a list of ini keys) and force default app font and size

Still no joy? 

• Force a font style and size in the project aliases file using a text editor , or is it in lvlps? Memory loss at my age.

Brutal and abysmal failure yet?

• Delete LabVIEW. Ini.  
  • Create a new project and drag in the items you need as automatic populating folders
  • Stop auto-pop

Font keys are tricky.  Like blink speed, blink color and Diagram BGimages they apply to new vis only.  So its difficult to change. Worse the help file is unfortunately vague as those font keys are applied to the project explorer window.

Overall, I would rather be fishing.   Have a nice day.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 7 of 24
(1,775 Views)

The only other thing I can think of would be the ease of access display settings.

However, I cannot reproduce what you are seeing either. I wonder if a reboot is required? Or maybe updating video drivers?

Other than that,  I am out of ideas. Make sure you post back here if you find a solution 🙂

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 24
(1,773 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

• Delete LabVIEW. Ini.  

Alternatively, rename it to LabVIEW.ini.old (assuming you have a bunch of customizations in there). LV won't recognize it with the new extension.

Message 9 of 24
(1,761 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

• Delete LabVIEW. Ini.  

Alternatively, rename it to LabVIEW.ini.old (assuming you have a bunch of customizations in there). LV won't recognize it with the new extension.

I did clarify that appropriate backups should be made.  Yes, renaming to LabVIEW.Ini.bak is what I always do.  Frankly,  I don't really want this thread in a place where children can play with it.  

So, I repeat, don't do what I wrote ever!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 24
(1,752 Views)