LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Menu bar not run-time menu bar

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, this is my first time i am posting a query here. i have created an exe everything is going fine but i need to remove menu bar from the exe, let me make it clear that i know labview runtime and i am able to make disappear menu bar in runtime but i also dont want the menu bar even if the exe is not running. is that possible?
pardon for any mistakes.
i am attaching the screen shots for vi properties, exe runtime and in idle position too.
i dont want the highlighted menu while exe is not running.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,003 Views)

Hi farhan,

i also dont want the menu bar even if the exe is not running. is that possible?

Every (usual) EXE will close its windows while stopping.

The user NEVER should have contact with a non-running executable!

So how comes your user sees a "menu of a non-running exe"?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 10
(2,983 Views)

hi Gerd,
thats what exactly i want to say. the user can only have the option of run and stop. why the user have to see the menu bar in a non running executable.
Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,970 Views)

Hi farhan,

the user can only have the option of run and stop.

Wrong!

The user has a running executable - or no executable at all. There is no "stopped executable" - never!

You need to change your VI to have the user NEVER stop it WITHOUT closing the front panel (aka "quit the executable")!

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 4 of 10
(2,964 Views)

The user has a running executable - or no executable at all. There is no "stopped executable" - never!

You need to change your VI to have the user NEVER stop it WITHOUT closing the front panel (aka "quit the executable")!

thank you Gerd for your valuable suggestion, i appreciate that.
actually the vi i have designed have to test multiple samples, so the company requirement is that once the test on first samples is done the user have to test other samples at the same time.what i am trying to say is that if stopping the exe can close the exe then the user need to open it again and again to do further tests, that leave it inconvenient.
that is why i have to give the option of a stop execution and run it on other sample without closing the exe.
i hope you got my point.

Warm Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,959 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author farhan93

Hi farhan,

that is why i have to give the option of a stop execution and run it on other sample without closing the exe. i hope you got my point.

I got your point, but I think it's wrong!

Let's check with MSOffice-Word: the user writes a document, then the user saves and closes the document.

Is Word stopped by now? Does it show a "start" button next to a "stop" sign? No, it isn't!

It's still running and waiting for user input like "New document" or "Load document"…

Why don't you create the same with your VI? Have it save first sensor's data, "close" the current context and wait until the user clicks a button (labelled like "test next sensor") to start over! (A statemachine would be fine here!)

Your VI/executable is NEVER stopped, it is waiting for user input ALL THE TIME!

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 6 of 10
(2,952 Views)

Hi.

You don't really need to stop execution of your .exe for swiching your sample, do you ?

I mean, you just have to put your whole programme in a while loop and test if you pressed either a 'Close exe' button or a 'Start new sample test'. Like that your exe never stop it's execution and it'll closed only when the user has finished all the sample test.

Message 7 of 10
(2,949 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi farhan,

that is why i have to give the option of a stop execution and run it on other sample without closing the exe. i hope you got my point.

I got your point, but I think it's wrong!

Let's check with MSOffice-Word: the user writes a document, then the user saves and closes the document.

Is Word stopped by now? Does it show a "start" button next to a "stop" sign? No, it isn't!

It's still running and waiting for user input like "New document" or "Load document"…

Why don't you create the same with your VI? Have it save first sensor's data, "close" the current context and wait until the user clicks a button (labelled like "test next sensor") to start over! (A statemachine would be fine here!)

Your VI/executable is NEVER stopped, it is waiting for user input ALL THE TIME!

that was a real quick suggestion i think, i hope i can find my solution to the problem from your suggestion.
thankyou very much Gred.
Best Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,947 Views)

@Arik.v³ wrote:

Hi.

You don't really need to stop execution of your .exe for swiching your sample, do you ?

I mean, you just have to put your whole programme in a while loop and test if you pressed either a 'Close exe' button or a 'Start new sample test'. Like that your exe never stop it's execution and it'll closed only when the user has finished all the sample test.

Hello,

thank you very much, i got the same idea from Gred reply.
i appreciate your explanation too 🙂

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,945 Views)

Hi,

I had the same experience when tinkering with my first exe build lately and just wanted to give a heads up to all wondering why the menu pops up when they have run the exe and want to try a new data set/ run the program again.

As stated above, wrap a while loop around all of your code, so it is the outermost loop structure. If you don't want to show a stop button on the frontpanel wire a false constant to the stop terminal of the while loop in the block diagram.

Then make the adjustments in the vi properties,  window appearance, only tick the title bar for example and remove the run and stop buttons. Build your exe and enjoy endless vi fun until you hit the x for closing the window in the title bar.

Message 10 of 10
(2,850 Views)