LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring resistance of a strain gauge (quarter bridge type II configuration) using DAQ device

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have two strain gauges in quarter bridge configuration bonded on a carrier, which is attached to the test specimen. Please refer to attached image for more information. One strain gauge is active (lets say R4) and another one is dummy (R3, which is placed transverse to the principal axis of strain). I want to measure the resistance of the R4. I have a NI TB-4330 front mounting terminal block with NI PXIe-1073 chasis. With the help of user manual i have completed the circuit. But in Labview program, daq assistant doesn't show any supported physical channel for the resistance measurement. Can you please tell me how can i measure the resistance in my case?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,627 Views)

Hi JP,

so you have a TB-4330: this is only a mounting terminal!

Do you also have the needed DAQ devices? Are they mounted in your PXI chassis?

Are they available in MAX?

Before playing with DAQAssistent (which I do not recommend) you should try to create your DAQmx task in MAX!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,621 Views)

Hi GerdW,

thanks for the reply. I have PXIe-1073 chasis with 5 slots and only one front mounting terminal block i.e. TB-4330. Both the devices are available in MAX. I had tried to create DAQmx task in MAX, but i ran into the same problem. It didn't show any supported physical channel for resistance measurement.

Regards,

JP

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,602 Views)

Hi JP,

what is mounted in those PXI slots? Where do you mount the TB4330 to?

Can you show a MAX screenshot with all devices visible?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,599 Views)

Hi GerdW,

TB-4330 is mounted to slot 2 of PXIe-1073. Please check the images in the attachment.

Regards,

JP

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,594 Views)

Hi JP,

TB-4330 is mounted to slot 2 of PXIe-1073.

TB4330 is mounted to a PXIe4330 DAQ card. You should have been able to tell that right from beginning…

Are there any channels availabe for your PXIe4330 (aka "PXI1Slot2")? Can you create a task using one of those channels with MAX?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,592 Views)

I have two of those modules in a PXIe chassis acquiring from 16 strain gages that have TEDS support and they work fine.

As Gerd has been urging you...

Create a Task and choose "strain" and you will eventually get a test screen that will let you poke a the setting to adapt to your strain gages.

Go ahead and "Try it! You will like it".

Once you have a task defined it can be used to generate a config sub-VI and an example that can be used in LabVIEW.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,584 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JP187

@JP187 wrote:

...It didn't show any supported physical channel for resistance measurement.

Regards,

JP

It just hit me that you were looking for resistance when the measurement type is strain.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,580 Views)

Hi Gerdw,

Yes, there are channels available for PXIe-4330. I had created DAQmx task using one of those channels and measured the output of Force sensor.

Best Regards,

JP

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,571 Views)

Hi Ben,

I think you are right, the measurement type is strain. Once i have strain value, using the equation of Gauge factor, i can calculate the value of change in resistance.

Best Regards,

JP

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,570 Views)