cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring current using USB 6009 with a Rheostat as shunt resistor

Solved!
Go to solution

@CoolKiat wrote:
So back to the first question, can I use the rheostat to measure the current. If can, how do I specify the resistor value in the current set up measurement.

You need a fixed, known resistance in order to properly measure current.  I would recommend getting something line a 1 Ohm resistor (depending on how high your current will be).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 11 of 16
(2,063 Views)
This is not making any sense. You started out asking about current from a battery, now you mention a solar cell.

Have you got a diagram of what you are trying to achieve?

How would you connect things using a voltmeter and ammeter?
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(2,057 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kiatkiat

@CoolKiat wrote:
As for why I need to measure the current using a rheostat is because I want to measure the voltage and current of a Solar cell using the 'variable load method'. Therefore a rheostat is necessary.

So back to the first question, can I use the rheostat to measure the current. If can, how do I specify the resistor value in the current set up measurement.

No, you cannot use a rheostat to measure current. You need an ammeter to measure current OR measure the voltage drop across a known fixed resistor. And your rheostat is not used as the shunt.

This diagram was taken from http://physastro.pomona.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Berkley-Thesis-addendum.pdf:

Solar Cell.png

And this modified diagram shows you what we have all been trying to tell you:

Solar Cell - modified.png

Message 13 of 16
(2,028 Views)

Hi Sebster,

I've now fully understand everything. Really appreciate and thank you so much for helping me.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(1,957 Views)

Don't you think you should give credit (kudos) to everyone who told you the same thing over and over again?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(1,923 Views)

CoolKiat

What university (or other institution) are you studying at?

Message 16 of 16
(1,898 Views)