LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring Strain

Hello all, 

I am am trying to take strain measurements for experiments I am running.  Currently I have my strain gauges hooked to a NI 9945 (quarter bridge 350 ohm) then that connects to at NI 9237, which is sitting in a cDAQ NI-9188.  It seems that I have everything set up properly but the results I am getting seem to be a bit large. In terms of the code I am using the DAQmx VIs and not DAQ assist.  How are these VIs converting Voltage into strain? Is there some where I can find the equation it uses? 

Thank you,

Jose 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,338 Views)

*but the results I am getting seem to be a bit large*

What do you mean by large?

So currently you are not using any equation? 

From your question i understood that your device is communicating properly but final data is not correct. Am i right?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,303 Views)

So members of my lab have used the same type of strain gauge using a different DAQ, and different code.  In their code they measure the out put voltage and then using the some equations calculate what the strain should be.  I told lab view to measure strain using the DAQmx AI Strain VI. I am getting values in the milli strain range while they are getting micro strain. Currently I have no equations hard coded, I assumed the VI would do that for me. Everything does seem to be communicating properly I am just questioning the results, so I wanted to understand how the VIs worked before I jump to conclusions.      

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,285 Views)

Generally the strain would be coming in as a ratiometric measurement with the voltage returned from the sensor being divided by the excitation voltage that's been set.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,266 Views)

Have you set up the Strain Gauge correctly?

Strain Gauge.png

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,257 Views)

So are you saying that the output of the VI is simply Vo/Vex? 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,247 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

Have you set up the Strain Gauge correctly?

/Y

I believe I coded it correctly.  The only difference seems to be that I am using a quarter bridge set up and you have a Full Bridge.  See Attached

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,245 Views)

When dealing with a new type of Acq. I will often start by using MAX to create a task fo the type I need and then "poke at the settings" until I get a good set of readings.

Then save the task and then got to the BD of a new VI, drop a DAQmx Task constant on the diagram and THEN right-click and select "generate config and example".

LV will script-up the code to do what you saw when poking around in MAX.

The other thing to investigate is if you can do a "null'.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 8 of 10
(3,239 Views)

On the strain gage I used there was calibration values printed on it that I needed to enter/use in the code, the default didn't cut it.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,217 Views)

I emailed engineers at National Instruments apparently it may be a hardware issue, although I am still waiting a response.  I did find a similar VI, Convert Volts to Strain, that provides the proper equation.  If I can't find a solution I may switch to this VI.  

Message 10 of 10
(3,190 Views)