From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure the frequency on FPGA

Hi,

In my application I am using an ADC with a sampling rate of 250 MS/sec. I need to measure the frequency of the unknown signal on the FPGA after sampling at the rate of 250 MS/sec. I tried using the FFT algorithm , but in my case it is not very useful because of the following reasons

1:The signal has to be measured with a precision upto 0.1 Hz , this means I need 250 * 10^7 FFT  points to measure the signal with such a high precision and the frequency to be measured ranges from 63000000.0 - 64999999.9 Hz. This is indeed a large range.

2:I could observe that the 'Extract Single Tone Information VI ' which is an inbuilt labview VI available on the block diagram does this job quite effectively using a very few FFT points. However, this VI is not available on the FPGA.

Could you please suggest a good way to handle such a scenario on the FPGA? any effective algorithm which could be used to handle this situation.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,460 Views)

Hi,

In my application I am using an ADC with a sampling rate of 250 MS/sec. I need to measure the frequency of the unknown signal on the FPGA after sampling at the rate of 250 MS/sec. I tried using the FFT algorithm , but in my case it is not very useful because of the following reasons

1:The signal has to be measured with a precision upto 0.1 Hz , this means I need 250 * 10^7 FFT  points to measure the signal with such a high precision and the frequency to be measured ranges from 63000000.0 - 64999999.9 Hz. This is indeed a large range.

2:I could observe that the 'Extract Single Tone Information VI ' which is an inbuilt labview VI available on the block diagram does this job quite effectively using a very few FFT points. However, this VI is not available on the FPGA.

Could you please suggest a good way to handle such a scenario on the FPGA? any effective algorithm which could be used to handle this situation.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,462 Views)