LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure the frequency on FPGA

Hi,

In my application I am using an ADC with a sampling rate of 250 MS/sec. I need to measure the frequency of the unknown signal on the FPGA after sampling at the rate of 250 MS/sec. I tried using the FFT algorithm , but in my case it is not very useful because of the following reasons

1:The signal has to be measured with a precision upto 0.1 Hz , this means I need 250 * 10^7 FFT  points to measure the signal with such a high precision and the frequency to be measured ranges from 63000000.0 - 64999999.9 Hz. This is indeed a large range.

2:I could observe that the 'Extract Single Tone Information VI ' which is an inbuilt labview VI available on the block diagram does this job quite effectively using a very few FFT points. However, this VI is not available on the FPGA.

Could you please suggest a good way to handle such a scenario on the FPGA? any effective algorithm which could be used to handle this situation.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,467 Views)

Hi,

In my application I am using an ADC with a sampling rate of 250 MS/sec. I need to measure the frequency of the unknown signal on the FPGA after sampling at the rate of 250 MS/sec. I tried using the FFT algorithm , but in my case it is not very useful because of the following reasons

1:The signal has to be measured with a precision upto 0.1 Hz , this means I need 250 * 10^7 FFT  points to measure the signal with such a high precision and the frequency to be measured ranges from 63000000.0 - 64999999.9 Hz. This is indeed a large range.

2:I could observe that the 'Extract Single Tone Information VI ' which is an inbuilt labview VI available on the block diagram does this job quite effectively using a very few FFT points. However, this VI is not available on the FPGA.

Could you please suggest a good way to handle such a scenario on the FPGA? any effective algorithm which could be used to handle this situation.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,469 Views)