From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure Voltage PXIe-4331

Solved!
Go to solution

I want to use the PXIe-4331 to measure the changes (very small) in voltage of one resistor. I want to use the built-in excitation source (2.5 V) to excite a wheatestone bridge (non standard); the wheatestone bridge will be balance via a potentiometer.

Once the bridge is balanced, I want to monitor the changes of the output of the bridge. Is it possible to configure the card for working  as I am describing? The bridge is going to look like a "quarter bridge" configuration (3 resistors are constant, and 1 is going to fluctuate), but the resistances are going to have non-standard values. I just want to understand the changes of the output, so I can correlate them to resistance. Best regards and many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,239 Views)

Hello,

I want to use the PXIe-4331 to measure the changes (very small) of one resistor (it is an strange material which change its resistance in a random way; I want to monitor the changes to understand why this is happening). I want to use the built-in excitation source (2.5 V) to excite a wheatestone bridge (non standard); the wheatestone bridge will be balance via a potentiometer.

Once the bridge is balanced, I want to monitor the changes of the output of the bridge. Is it possible to configure the card for working  as I am describing? The bridge is going to look like a "quarter bridge" configuration (3 resistors are constant, and 1 is going to fluctuate), but the resistances are going to have non-standard values. I just want to understand the changes of the output, so I can correlate them to resistance. Best regards and many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,232 Views)

Hello,

I want to use the PXIe-4331 to measure the changes (very small) of one resistor (it is an strange material which change its resistance in a random way; I want to monitor the changes to understand why this is happening). I want to use the built-in excitation source (2.5 V) to excite a wheatestone bridge (non standard); the wheatestone bridge will be balance via a potentiometer.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,230 Views)

No need to start 3 threads just for attaching your document!

And please attach your image directly instead of hiding it inside some weird Office document!

check.png

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,221 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fran_itin

If you have non-standard values for the resistances, it is not clear how you would use the internal bridge completion circuits of the PXIe-4331. It appears that the full bridge configuration (which requires you to supply all the fixed resistors and the potentiometer) may be the better choice. Look at Chapter 2 of the User Manual.

The specifications are in terms of mV/V so you may need to do some calcualtions to get the actual resistances.

Lynn

Message 5 of 6
(3,143 Views)

Hello, Lynn

Many thanks for your help. I am trying to use it as you are explaining:

1- Creating my own balanced wheatestone bridge

2- Using the internal stabilised excitation voltage of the card

3- Reading the output of the bridge (mV/V), and by multiplying by the excitation voltage get the mV.

4- Having 3 known resistor, work out the value of the fourth one.

Best regards and many thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,127 Views)