From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum number of generated parallel loops

Solved!
Go to solution

Why is the number of generated parallel loop instances for a For loop (in the For Loop Iteration Parallelism dialog) limited to 64?  LabVIEW can handle more than 64 parallel threads, can't it?  I will have a machine with 104 cores--will two For loops each configured to generate 52 parallel loop instances give the results that I want (i.e., 104 parallel executions of my VI)?  Will a (non-parallelized) For loop opening my VI in call and collect mode 104 times give me the same results?  Is a parallelized For loop containing a call to a single VI any different from calling the VI with call and collect inside a For loop?

Message 1 of 3
(3,300 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jsiegel

You can change it to allow up to 256 parallel instances by adding an entry to the labview.ini file.

ParallelLoop.MaxNumLoopInstances=256

(See also)

Message 2 of 3
(3,290 Views)

Thanks, altenbach, for that information!  So the limit of 64 is not a fundamental limit of the For loop and is there just to protect us.

Still, I'm still curious--is doing multiple call and collects the same as running a parallelized For loop?  Is there some optimization in the parallelized For loop that can't be had with the call and collect method?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,246 Views)