From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max 9.2.2 doesn't recongize com ports

Max 9.2.2 doesn't recongize com ports.

Dell Precision 360

Windows XP

Two different computes, multiple attempts, downloads of software - same result: com ports don't show up.

Smiley Mad

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(3,599 Views)

There is no such thing as MAX 9.2.2. Are you confusing MAX with DAQmx? If so, DAQmx has absolutely nothing to do with com ports. You need NI-VISA for that.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(3,593 Views)

I went back a few versions (from 9.2.2 to 8.6.1) 

Excuse me if I got the name wrong.  The program (that worked) was NIDAQ861.exe and it put on a program labeled Measurement & Automation Explorer version 4.3.0f0

So what do I call it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(3,587 Views)
It does not matter which version of those you install. As I said, that's just wrong. Install the correct driver - NI-VISA.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(3,585 Views)

Excuse me.    One version worked, the other didn't. 

BUT, I'll look into this NI-VISA thing and try it with the newer version of NIDAQ.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(3,581 Views)

FORGET ABOUT DAQ! I don't know why you are so obsessed with NI-DAQ in any shape or form. NI-DAQ has absolutely nothing to do with com ports. It could never have worked before and could never work in the future. Either download NI-VISA or forget about using the cop ports. Its as simple as that.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(3,576 Views)

Let me spell this out so that some other poor engineer who learns this stuff the hard way can UNDERSTAND the relationship between these programs.  I have learned from you that there is such a thing as NI-VISA, thanks, it is the key to having the computer access the com ports.

First, I am not privileged to have new computers, I have perhaps 3 dozen of them of all ages.  The older one's had 6i on them and are GONE.  Still in inventory are a few with LabVIEW 7.1.  Industry uses machines until there is no life left in them.

When one of those dies, it gets replaced, and the program is updated (to LabVIEW 2010 sp1 now).  Bear in mind we are starting with a NEW computer with nothing but Windows on it.  Why did I reload the new version of NI-DAQmx - because the programs ran on it very well for the last 8 years or so - it makes sense.  Now all of a sudden LabVIEW run-time LVRTE2010std.exe when installed allows the executable programs to run, but not access the com ports.  From experience with the older programs the frustration is driven by the fact that they used to work!  The reason is that at least two versions of DAQmx ( NI-DAQ902f0.exe and NIDAQ861.exe ) automatically loaded NI-VISA 4.51 or NI-VISA 4.2.  That is my 'obsession' - there was no warning that with the upgrade to NI-DAQ922.exe that NI-VISA was no longer automatically loaded. 

Forget about DAQ?  NO.  It is a most useful tool in programming and troubleshooting.  "It could never have worked before and could never work in the future."  You're half right.  It won't work now or in the future because in no longer automatically installs NI-VISA.

I thank you for the info on NI-VISA.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(3,570 Views)

No LabVIEW run time installation has ever installed DAQmx or NI-VISA unless you explicitly select them when you build an installer - never. If you had both of those before, then you used the driver disk and simply installed all hardware drivers. Installing the separate drivers has never installed the other.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(3,567 Views)

I just downloaded and DID everything that said.  There is NOTHING that I've said that I didn't DO before I made the comment of what happened.

My starting point has always been to remove ALL NI software and run each of the programs that NI downloaded.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(3,565 Views)

Hi Test Engineering Leader,

It may help to clarify some of the different software components at work just to make sure you have to the ones appropriate for your application. MAX is an explorer that allows access to hardware devices using different drivers. DAQmx is one of the drivers, but it does not typically manage COM serial ports (it looks like DAQmx 8.6.1 does support one device over a serial interface, but this is an odd exception and using the serial port through this driver may be unpredictable). COM serial ports are supported in NI-VISA, which allows generic serial port handling and is a commonly used to build instrument drivers. There are other kinds of device drivers, like the 488.2 for GPIB devices, or NI Motion for cameras. You can check out the different Read-Mes to check out whether your device is support.

If you are trying to directly access the serial ports on your computer, then you should use NI VISA. If there is a particular device you are trying to communicate with, then it should be listed in the Read Me if the driver can operate it correctly.

So, just to verify, you have already installed the latest version of NI VISA? If so, then you should be able to open MAX and see an option called Serial & Parallel. If this is not listed, then check the device is probably missing from the OS: trying viewing it in the device manager. If it is missing in the device driver and you know it's there, try installing new hardware.

- Regards,

Beutlich
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(3,528 Views)