From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maths problem, converting change in voltage to change in displacement.

I get an input from an LVDT that ranges from roughly 0 - 5V. The arm travel on the LVDT is around 15.6cm or 156mm. So I've calculated that every time the arm moves 1mm the voltage changes by 0.03205128V. How do I go about the calculations to be able to show it on an indicator. I've tried to use a comparison to start with. So that every time the voltage equals let's say 4.7V, a case structure would increment an indicator by one. A problem here though is the voltage produced by the LVDT has too many decimals so that it never equals 4.7V. How can I change it so that it's limited to one or two decimals?  

Essentially what I want to show is that a change in voltage in the LVDT corresponds to a change in displacement of the arm. So a decrease in voltage means an increase in displacement and vice versa. 

I have attached my code to show what I'm trying to get at. 

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,222 Views)

You just need to 'scale' the voltage into a distance. You'll just need to multiply your voltage by a scale factor to convert to distance. Add an offset if you want to know the position a 'start' point. If when one increases, the other decreases, your scale factor needs to be a negative number. Wire the output of the multiply/add to a numeric indicator.

Scale.png

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 2 of 3
(3,215 Views)

Brilliant, it works! Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,188 Views)