LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Tasks in large projects

I'd like to create DAQmx tasks inside the folder structure of my project (.lvproj).

TestTask.PNG

If I right-click on folder 'beamPath' and create a New DAQmx task, it results in the above.

However, when I close the project and re-open, it's gone.

If I right-click on 'My Computer' create task, close project and re-open, it's still there:

TestTask2.PNG

Where does the task exist? is it a file I can view when looking at the file structure.

I have a very large project divided into sub-systems that I test individually, I'd like the tasks for each sub-system stored within a folder called "tasks" inside the autopopulating folder structure of the Project.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,671 Views)

Good morning bmann,

From the looks of it, you have auto populating folders, which if no physical file is saved in that folder, it will disappear when the folder refreshes. I am not quite sure where the DAQ tasks are saved, as I added a task to my project under My Computer as you did, and I do not see it listed in the project. 

I think that might be the root of the problem the physical file is stored elsewhere, so an auto populated folder wont work.

Steven Howell
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified Professional Instructor
Systems Developer
Optimation - Houston
steven.howell@optimation.us
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,657 Views)

The task is specific to the project, I was expecting a file to be created that pointed to the IO.

At present it allows tasks to be created inside any project folder, but unless the task is at the same level as My Computer, it disappears when the project is closed and re-opened.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,651 Views)

I looked in the FILES tab of the project, once I clicked on the task I created in my project and it doesnt point to anywhere in the file structure. I remember when you build an exe out of a project, you have the ability to include the MAX tasks associated with the project into the build. The files are saved with a .nce extension, but they are not saved in the project directory. I am not quite sure where they are saved at this point, but it is not in the project. 

Steven Howell
Systems Developer
Optimation - Houston
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,647 Views)

The task and all other DAQmx stuff is stored in the project (*.lvproj) auto-pop folders don't work because there is no file on disk for the task besides that xml file with the .lvproj extension.  Try opening the project with Internet Explorer- you'll see exactly what I mean and learn a lot about how DAQmx tasks live.

Which brings up another "Nice-to-Know" tidbit of information.  Auto-populating folders were invented by the devil's mother.  Have you ever seen a shipping example that used them?  Did you know that project templates can't use them? (today, but I saw a CAR show up to change that)  Don't use them.  They were helpful to build projects out of llbs and get you going with projects but, they have limitations.  The project explorers's files view is a much more powerful tool to use to sync your file structure on disk with your virtual folder structure (If you want that that) Virtual folders hold things just as effectively since you can really only hurt yourself messing with the files on disk without using the project explorer anyway (Thats how you get conflicts.)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,645 Views)

Jeff thats interesting, I looked at the lvproj file in notepad, at the XML and didnt see anything regarding DAQmx....maybe I did something wrong? 

Steven Howell
Systems Developer
Optimation - Houston
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,641 Views)

There is mine

!1.png

They do hide in the file but they are there. you just need to look for them by "Type"

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,634 Views)

Jeff,

I discovered what I did wrong, I had two of the same project, 1 was saved for 2013, the other for 2012, I created the DAQ task in only one....oops. I found the DAQ tasks in the lvproj......1000 lashes with wet LabVIEW code.....

Steven Howell
Systems Developer
Optimation - Houston
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,628 Views)