From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage and open large TDMS data files

Hi NI Community,

I'm looking for advice on how to manage data collected from PXI chassis.

Currently, we are taking multi-channel data at a very high sampling rate (up to 1MS per second) and each run can last anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes. The output TDMS file can end up being 10-20GBs which is quite large! I've had no problems opening a 20GB TDMS file with DIAdem or FlexLogger to visually inspect the traces. However, I'm looking to see if there are ways I can avoid using DIAdem or FlexLogger to view the data. I found Scout (free version) online but it is not that great to open a large 20GB data file as it fills up your RAM quickly. Can you suggest to me how to deal with a large amount of data? And how to open and view large TDMS data files?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,448 Views)

Hi Victor,

@victor55 wrote:

The output TDMS file can end up being 10-20GBs which is quite large! I've had no problems opening a 20GB TDMS file with DIAdem or FlexLogger to visually inspect the traces. However, I'm looking to see if there are ways I can avoid using DIAdem or FlexLogger to view the data. I found Scout (free version) online but it is not that great to open a large 20GB data file as it fills up your RAM quickly. Can you suggest to me how to deal with a large amount of data?

Use Diadem/FlexLogger as they are optimized for such large data files…

@victor55 wrote:

And how to open and view large TDMS data files?

There are TDMS functions in the file palette: you can write your own software to open/read TDMS files.

Think about a good decimation algorithm when starting with those 5min*60s/min*1MS/s=300MSamples long plots…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 4
(1,426 Views)

Hi Gerald,

Thank you for your reply as always. Do you have an example of a decimation algorithm or know where I can find some of that online?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,398 Views)

Hi Victor,

@victor55 wrote:

Hi Gerald,

Who is "Gerald"?

@victor55 wrote:

Do you have an example of a decimation algorithm or know where I can find some of that online?

LabVIEW has a DecimateArray function for a very simple decimation of an 1D array.

There are decimation functions in the signal processing palette. Read their help…

Use GoogleFoo to look up for other decimation algorithms like "Min/Max decimation"…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 4
(1,352 Views)