LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malleables within Malleables = LV Crash?

LV 2018 SP1

I have a problem which seems to be related to having a Malleable VI within another malleable VI.

This is a COMPILER crash, not a run time crash. 

I'm building a PPL if that matters.

This code compiles fine.  MAKE NAME is a malleable which accepts an ENUM (which it converts to a string) or a STRING.

Case 1.PNG

When I use the above code in a VI, it also compiles OK:

Case 2.PNG

The MAKE FULL PROPT NAME vi contains the same code:

Mall VI.PNG

Note that if I change that to a VIM (which is what I want) instead of a VI, then I get a crash at compile time:

Crash.PNG

This is reliable - I can switch back and forth between VI and VIM.  VI never crashes, VIM always does.

Is there some rule about VIMs within VIMs that I missed?

In this case the MAKE NAME VIM is simple enough that I can duplicate it where I want it, but I don't know why it's happening.

Ideas?

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,463 Views)

I don't think malleable VIs and packed libraries play well together.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,445 Views)

Well, I've run into the fact that a VIM compiled into a PPL cannot "malleate" (is that a word?) any more.

I understand that - it's a compile time phenomenon where the compiler chooses how to compile based on input datatypes, and it cannot change the code if it's inside an existing PPL.

But that's not the case here - all the VIs in question are free-standing (not in PPLs).  It's just that the end product will go into a PPL.  Since VIMs are inline, there's a copy made for each instance, so I don't see a reason why it won't work.

In any case, crashing is not a reasonable response.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,440 Views)

For the record, I am able to have a VIM inside a VIM inside a VIM in a completely new project.

The same code I want to work here, will at least compile without a crash if it's in a new project.

So I have some conflict somewhere.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,419 Views)

Interesting.  Sorry i wasn't any help.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,406 Views)

So, a day and half of watching LabVIEW crash over 50 times has led to this discovery.

The "Test Facts" terminal in the above pictures is a TypeDef.  It contains mostly standard things ( strings, time stamps, integers. and one custom STRICT TypeDef enum called "Unit #".

"Test Facts" was set to be strict, because that's my default construction - I set them to be non-strict ONLY if I need them to be non-strict (usually because I need to manipulate properties of cluster members).

If I set "Test Facts" to be NON-STRICT, I can compile it OK (I presume it will run OK, too).

If I set it back to STRICT, it will crash. Every time, upon compile.

I can go back and forth, and it's reliable.

I have a hunch this is related to the weird behavior of PPLs: If I include a TypeDef Enum as a terminal in a VI that gets put into an ENUM, then it becomes a DIFFERENT type, as measured by the coercion dot.  A constant created from that terminal will have the same type and path, but it is coerced, because it is different from the typedef that I started with.  That's been true for years.

Now (I am new at malleability) my guess is that the compiler is trying to "malleate" that cluster and cannot do it for some reason.

If I change it to NON-STRICT, it works  (I see a coercion dot at the VIM's terminal for it).

If I move that cluster outside the VIM and do the unbundling there, then it works.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

Message 6 of 7
(1,360 Views)

If you can create some code that will always crash LabVIEW and can make a simple enough bit of test code that always makes it happen, I recommend opening a support ticket with NI (assuming you have a current SSSP) to log the issue.  They probably can't help you fix it other than to suggest workarounds, but it'll get a CAR filed and possibly by LabVIEW 2022 or 2023 they might fix the bug.  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,342 Views)