cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a New File Using "Save As"

Solved!
Go to solution

Little feedback to the NI Staff here...

We are using LabVIEW 8.6; and, at least in this implementation, trying to make a new VI by using the Save As command produces a menu of choices, none of which make sense to me. Sorry, but I can't tell which of them will actually just produce a new file with an amended name to be further developed. Trial and error produces the creation of folders, but no files, overwrites the original file (why would I want to do that, I selected Save As not Save) and just about every result other than what I was trying to accomplish.

Maybe you have fixed this in a later version, but for 8.6, I feel like I need to take a class just to save the new file.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,153 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DoctorT

you're not the only one...  😉

Have you tried "Open Additional Copy"?  It is probably what you want.  It will not copy over the original one, and will keep the original one open.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,151 Views)

OK, mods can delete this if you want. The default which says

"Substitute Copy for Original"

contrary to what I interpret that to mean, actually produces the desired result. Confusing, but can make it work. EOR

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,146 Views)

Substitute copy for original will not delete the original, but may swap the VI if it a subvi inside an opened VI.  (I have not checked if it does the same when the VI is closed).

I know it is confusing.  Don't delete the thread as it may be useful for others.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,139 Views)