From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make main window freeze when I open settings vi

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello!

I'm apologizing in advance, as the English is not my native language, so I don't know if I will be able to explain clearly what I want.

I have a queued message handler as my main vi, and I want to add Settings vi that pops up when I click on a Settings button in my main vi. I did that, and it's working great, but when settings vi opens I can still click on buttons and set focus to my main vi. I don't want that, as I would like the user to focus on settings window only, and I want main window to be "frozen" while settings is open.

Is there any way to do this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,929 Views)
Solution
Accepted by tcvitanic

Hi,

You basically want your settings VI to be a popup. There is a setting for that.

For the settings VI,

Go to File -> VI Properties -> Window appearance -> Customize -> Window behavior

Changing the window behavior property to modal will resolve your issue.

Best Regards,
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Certified Architect
Message 2 of 3
(1,899 Views)

@tcvitanic wrote:

Hello!

I'm apologizing in advance, as the English is not my native language, so I don't know if I will be able to explain clearly what I want.

I have a queued message handler as my main vi, and I want to add Settings vi that pops up when I click on a Settings button in my main vi. I did that, and it's working great, but when settings vi opens I can still click on buttons and set focus to my main vi. I don't want that, as I would like the user to focus on settings window only, and I want main window to be "frozen" while settings is open.

Is there any way to do this?

As a compliment: Your English is better than mine, and I grew up with the language!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,871 Views)