LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maddening dialog box keeps popping up

Solved!
Go to solution

Sometimes I get in a situation where a dialog box keeps popping up and the only way to stop it is to shut down Labview through the Windows task manager. Right now, for example, its happening with the error below. Is there any way to gracefully end the program? I'm using 8.5.

Dialog box error.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,842 Views)

Hi Benyl,

Are all the nodes in your block diagram connected with Error clusters? Such situations occur when a node or two, are not connected through the error cluster, so LV automatic error handling takes over. 

But I'm wondering if thats the case, because I don't see a "stop" next to the "continue". It'd be great if you could elaborate on how you've got the error.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,839 Views)
Oh, I see! My error dialog is inside a while loop. Okay, not the best idea. But there should still be a way to stop the program if this happens.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,831 Views)

There is and it is shown in quite a few of the shipping examples.

Error Stops Loop.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,825 Views)

Okay, I see that would do it. But if I don't (which is possible when just quickly testing something) is there no way to stop the VI? Maybe Windows has "taken over" and there is nothing that LabVIEW can do about it.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,816 Views)
Windows hasn't taken over anything (at least as far as this is concerned - the rest of the world is up for debate). If you're in a situation like that you need to abort the VI. If you have the toolbar visible then keep clicking on the Abort button in the toolbar while you use the Enter key to dismiss the dialog. You'll probably get lucky. If not, you can use the VI Server to programmatically abort a VI. Search the forum as this issue has come up several times before, and examples have been posted.
Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 09-01-2009 12:13 PM
Message 6 of 9
(3,805 Views)

How would windows take over? Granted that you can have windows crashes from any number of things but I don't quite see what you want to do about that from within LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,803 Views)

If you're using an error dialogue vi, as we think you might be doing, you could right click on the type of dialog input, select create constant, then set the constant to "continue or stop message"

Rod.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,798 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BenYL

I did a search and found this VI by Darren which aborted for me. Worked perfectly! Thanks for your help, guys.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,789 Views)