From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSP-GANG Verify Firmware using dll

I am trying to get the MSP-GANG programmer to verify the firmware already programmed into a PCBA.  for example, if I want to verify that Rev B of the firmware is programmed into the PCBA, I can do this through the MSP-Gang GUI, you select the desired firmware image, set the MCU, etc and then press verify.  If the firmware on the PCBA is Rev B, you get a pass.  If it is Rev A, then it fails.

Using the dll, I cannot figure out how to accomplish the same thing.  I have tried googling and looking through the User Guide, but TI descriptions of the functions are very generic.

Has anyone got this to work with the dll?

Kenny

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,896 Views)

Hi Kenny,

I was able to find another forum post that may be helpful to you.

Texas Instruments MSP-Gang430 Gang Programmer

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Texas-Instruments-MSP-Gang430-Gang-Programmer/m-p/530694

Regards,

sarahmo

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,852 Views)

I worked with MSP430 gangprogrammer several Years ago.

I made the attached back then. Maybe You can play around with it and solve Your Problem.

BR 

Don't forget to rate a good Answer....
---------------------------------------------------------
Here should be some cool signature

But there's NOT

LabVIEW 2012-2017
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,842 Views)

I am good with programming a unit, it is with reading the contents and verifying it is correct.

The MSPGang_Get_Code_Info seems to calculate the checksum of the file that I load into the programmer, and not the contents of the device programmed.  I can use the MSPGANG_Read_Code_File and then the MSPGang_Get_Code_Info, and it provides the checksum of the code, and the checksum matches the checksum shown in the MSP-Gang GUI.   However, when I did this, I did not have any device connected to the programmer, so it could not have read out the device.

FYI - I am using a MSP430F2001.

So what I then tried was to use the MSPGANG_Interactive_Open_Target_Device, read the target using the MSPGANG_Interactive_DefReadTargets (Mask: 0x01,Start_addr: 0xFC00,End_addr: 0xFFFF), and then the MSPGang_Get_Code_Info.  But this always returns a checksum of 0.    I am not sure how to point the MSPGang_Get_Code_Info to the code read from the device, vs the Code loaded from the Read_Code_File.

Is the internal data buffer different than the internal buffer? (see bold text in the description of the two API functions below)

MSPGANG_Interactive_DefReadTargets

MSPGANG_Interactive_DefReadTargets reads the contents of the selected target devices (one to eight targets) simultaneously from Start_addr to the End_addr and saves it in the internal data buffer

MSPGANG_Read_Code_File

MSPGANG_Read_Code_File reads or appends a code file or reads a password file and saves it in its internal buffer.

Kenny

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,835 Views)

Kenny.

Frankly, since its been 5 Years+, since I worked with this, i really haven't any clue of how to solve Your problem.

That being said, did You try to look at the .vi I attached? 

You can set it up to just verify the content of the MCU againts Your firmware File.

BR Bjarne

Don't forget to rate a good Answer....
Here should be some cool signature

But there's NOT

LabVIEW 2012-2017
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,830 Views)