From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX remember configuration when off or removed

I would like to have MAX remember my configuration even though the system is off or not present so I can code without having the system on all the time.  Is there an easy way to code without the system on or present?  Seems like if I get it set up in MAX once, I should be able to have it remember what is there even if it is off or removed.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,803 Views)
MAX is a utility program that is used to configure various types of hardware including DAQ (traditional and DAQmx drivers), GPIB, serial, Ethernet, USB, PXI, VXI, IVI instruments, motion, vision, .etc. and really has nothing to do with any LabVIEW configuration. You should provide more details on what exactly you are configuring and what exactly is turned off and post that information to the appropriate forum.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,796 Views)
I have a PXI chassis with 6251 (DAQ), 8431 (RS-485), 6602 (timing), 8830 (RS-232), and 6541 (digital waveform gen).  I would like to be able to code in labview without those being attached or on.  If I pull up the DAQ assistant, I would like to be able to have those as options even though they're aren't on.  Is that possible?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,793 Views)
What version of MAX are you using. You maybe able to simulate those instruments while developing if you have the later versions of MAX. MAX will simulate many of NI's instruments, but as I don't have LabVIEW or MAX on this machine I can't check which ones.
Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,786 Views)
And you should really post to the PXI forum.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,781 Views)
I thought about simulating, but that doesn't seem practical from a development standpoint.  I would need to switch back and forth between simulation and hardware in all my code whenever I wanted to actually test something or if I was away from the system. 
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,777 Views)
Simulation is the way to go (at least for the DAQ part).  In your code you are probably referring to devices by name say "Dev1".  To avoid having to change your code all you need to do is make sure the device you are wanting to use (either the real one or the simulated one ) is named "Dev1".  Another option is to maintain 2 different states in MAX through importing and exporting of files.  So in one case you have a simulated file and in the other case you have a real file.  You can then programatically import these in your code depending on which system you want to address (the programatic part is only available in LV 8.0 and greater but the import/export through MAX is in all version).  Again to my knowledge this will only work with your DAQ devices I am not sure how to solve the other devices in your system.

StuartG
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,755 Views)