LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX is unreadable

Solved!
Go to solution

I didn't see a newbie section, so I put this in here. I just bought labview base, have downloaded it and am starting the core 1 course. When I open MAX the text in the navigation pane is literally too small to read. Text in the window title, the menu labels and right pane are normal. Adjusting the system display increases the text size in the window title, menu labels and the right pane, but the nav pane doesn't change size. The 'create new' button is also too small. Screenshot attached.

What's wrong? How do I fix it?

Z

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,265 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zwoster

Hi Zwoster,

@Zwoster wrote:

What's wrong? How do I fix it?

The screen resolution is wrong, apparently you are using a 4K display.

Fix it by reducing the screen resolution to "standard" FullHD (1920×1080 pixels)!

Background: several parts of the "classic" LabVIEW IDE aren't ready for such high-resolution displays and work much better with "standard" resolutions…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,236 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zwoster

Do you have an extremely high resolution monitor?  4K or similar?  NI products often have scaling problems on these.   Maybe try some of the stuff here:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000004AZ9SAM&l=en-US

(Except using the NI-MAX shortcut instead of the LabVIEW one)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,232 Views)

Yes, this laptop has a 4k screen that seems to be the cause. The link you provided led me to this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3025083/windows-scaling-issues-for-high-dpi-devices

which lead to this blurb that solved my problem:

Change application properties

In Explorer or on the Start menu, right-click the application name, select Properties, select the Compatibility tab, and then select the Disable display scaling on high DPI settings check box.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,228 Views)

Thanks for posting on this issue - I have been using a jewelers loop to read the screen until now!

Note that this is the procedure I used to fix this issue on windows 10 pro Build 19043:

1) Find the NIMax.exe file in explorer in: C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\MAX

2) Right click on the file and select Properties

3) Select the Compatibility tab

4) Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior." "Scaling behavior performed by: Application"

And presto, no more jewelers loop needed!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,201 Views)