From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX finds my device and says it works; Labview can't find it

I have a USB-6008 here. MAX has found the device and says it's working fine.

In Labview, I have a DAQmx Physical Channel constant, I pull down and browse for devices, and it finds nothing.

I installed DAQmx (and DAQmx-base), then when looking at updates, I picked up Labview 2013 but didn't switch over to using it (That'd be a lot of saving back at the end if I don't stick with it, and it's not a free upgrade as far as I can tell). Then I reran the DAQmx setup.exe.

Any ideas why I can't get the device to show up? Completely uninstall DAQmx and reinstall it? Labview is happy to use the DAQmx vis, so that doesn't seem right.

I had the DAQmx base FWupdate program bring the firmware up to date. Did that screw it up and make it incompatible with DAQmx? If so, there's no obviously parallel DAQmx program.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,045 Views)
It sounds like it's configured only for base. Why did you install that or run the firmware update? I'm not sure what you can do. You can do a reset in MAX to switch between DAQmx and traditional DAQ but I don't know if that works for switching between DAQmx and base. If MAX only sees it as a base device, you'll be unable to use it in LabVIEW unless you use the base functions. Can you attach images of MAX and of Windows device manager?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,028 Views)

Wait. So, the schism between DAQmx and DAQmx Base is so severe that devices must be invisible to one or the other, AND neither is able to just seize control if the other isn't doing anything?

Why would they ever give them two names that sound so innocuously similar?

As for why I did it, it happened automatically when I opened a configuration utility in the wrong directory (similar names for very incompatible things...) And it doesn't seem to have actually stuck, since lsdaq can't find it.

In MAX, I don't see anything for ditching Base and going back to, um, basic DAQmx. Nor do I see anything for sending it back to traditional DAQ. MAX says it is a USB Raw Resource.

So... how do I get this raw resource configured for DAQmx?

ETA: okay... I see something that ought to do it: 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1448A8AC665EE0EA8625703F004A4410

or

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/91CBCFE9E171C845862572CF0077D8F9

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,001 Views)

USB RAW is for DAQmx base, I believe and the drivers are completely different. Base uses VISA and is primarily used on OS's that do not support the much more complete DAQmx driver. I don't know if completely uninstalling DAQmx base and restarting the system will work but it is worth a try. In device manager, you try to remove the association with the base .inf file.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,993 Views)