LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowercase to Uppercase and Uppercase to Lowercase

To quote Monty Python "And now for something completly different", how about using a lookup table with the UC and LC swapped in the LUT.

Using LUT.png

Message 21 of 38
(1,813 Views)

In Range and Coerce is just slightly slower than Is Equal? to (4 OR 5) by about 20%, so you could gain a teeny amount of speed there. They're both blazingly fast though, running 100000000 numbers through either of them took like a quarter of a second.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 38
(1,810 Views)

Or something even more differenter:

sTRING 2.png

😉

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 38
(1,801 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

sTRING 2.png

😉

Why have the build array and byte array to string, just wire numeric to the case terminal.  It won't be as readable since it doesn't have ASCII mode but it does have Hex.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 38
(1,799 Views)

Even if you want the string for readability, the Rube Goldberg (built single element U8 array... Byte array to string) combo could be replaced by a simple typecast.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 38
(1,789 Views)

Yes, a LUT would be the way to go in deployed code. That's what I usually do.

(... But unless you want to create the LUT by hand, you still need one of our algorithms once :D)

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 38
(1,783 Views)

@altenbach wrote:(It is a little-known fact that many string functions work perfectly on U8)

I did not know that! I want to change my answer to this 😛

AbCd2.PNG

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 38
(1,769 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

OK.  But I'm usually more concerned with speed that with size and this is about 30 times faster than this:

True, but the LUT is still 4x faster. You can even create it on the fly and it will be constant folded without any speed penalty. 😄

SwapLetterCaseLUT.png

Message 28 of 38
(1,745 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@BertMcMahan wrote:

sTRING 2.png

😉

Why have the build array and byte array to string, just wire numeric to the case terminal.  It won't be as readable since it doesn't have ASCII mode but it does have Hex.

I just wanted to make something intentionally Rube Goldberg, I didn't mean for it to be a particularly "good" solution 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 38
(1,740 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

OK.  But I'm usually more concerned with speed that with size and this is about 30 times faster than this:

True, but the LUT is still 4x faster. You can even create it on the fly and it will be constant folded without any speed penalty. 😄

SwapLetterCaseLUT.png

On a side note, the FOR loop can be parallelized, but it makes it actually slower for smaller strings. However, for gigantic strings is a way faster that the same code with a plain FOR loop (e.g. 1k characters: 10x slower,  1M characters: ~4x faster, 10M characters: ~6-8x faster) (this is on an old 16 core dual Xeon)

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 38
(1,719 Views)