LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking in wrong directories

Solved!
Go to solution
Highlighted
I replaced a new sub VI with the original and now I get a strange search pattern going on for which I do not see a solution in the archives. Here's the scenario. 
 
 
I have a sub vi named myVi.vi located in

c:\1\2\3\4
 
I rename myVI.vi to newMyVi.vi
 
I now bring in from CD the original version with the name myVI.vi. The CD version directory is
 d:2\3\4
 
Now labView is searching for dependencies in
 
 
c:\1\1\2\3\4 etc.
 
 
These aren't the real file names but I think it makes the explanation easier to follow.
 
 
I quit the load and opened the vi to see the error list and it is quite long. Do I need to fix each instance by hand? I have c:\1\2 in the vi search path.
 
 
thanks,
 
jvh 


0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(977 Views)

Addendum:

 

I put the search path at the top of the list but it still wants to check the NI directories first.

 

jh 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(974 Views)

Correction: The original post states it is searching in the wrong directory, actually the loading line incorrectly states it is loading the file

 

c:\1\1\2\3\4\myVI.vi.

 

It is actually in  

 

c:\1\2\3\4

 


jvh75021 wrote:
I replaced a new sub VI with the original and now I get a strange search pattern going on for which I do not see a solution in the archives. Here's the scenario. 
 
 
I have a sub vi named myVi.vi located in

c:\1\2\3\4
 
I rename myVI.vi to newMyVi.vi
 
I now bring in from CD the original version with the name myVI.vi. The CD version directory is
 d:2\3\4
 
Now labView is searching for dependencies in
 
 
c:\1\1\2\3\4 etc.
 
 
These aren't the real file names but I think it makes the explanation easier to follow.
 
 
I quit the load and opened the vi to see the error list and it is quite long. Do I need to fix each instance by hand? I have c:\1\2 in the vi search path.
 
 
thanks,
 
jvh 



 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(968 Views)

I'm confused as to what you actually did. You said you "brought in from CD the original version" which was on the CD at D:\2\3\4. Do you mean you opened it from the CD, or did you copy the VI from the CD to the C:\1\2\3\4 directory? Locations of subVIs are stored within the caller VI as relative paths. Thus, if you had path changes there would be a searching issue.

 

I don't quite understand what you were saying about having set the search path. What does your viSearchPath key look like in your LabVIEW.ini file?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(951 Views)

Yes, that was poorly worded. I copied it from the CD to the C:\1\2\3\4 directory. 

 

 The search path I set from vi front panel Tools > Options > Paths > VI search path

 

 

LabVIEW.ini: 

viSearchPath="C:\1\2;<topvi>:\*;<foundvi>:\;<vilib>:\*;<userlib>:\*;<instrlib>:\*;C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2009\resource" 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(942 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jvh75021

jvh75021 wrote:
LabVIEW.ini: 

viSearchPath="C:\1\2;<topvi>:\*;<foundvi>:\;<vilib>:\*;<userlib>:\*;<instrlib>:\*;C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2009\resource" 


In order for LabVIEW to dig down beyond c:\1\2 you need to add \* to that first path so it searches subdirectories.

Message 6 of 6
(922 Views)