From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Login to Oracle Taking 30+ Seconds

I'm using LabVIEW 7.1 with the SQL Toolkit. When trying to login into an Oracle system through the Oracle OBDC Connector the login takes 30+ seconds. When I use the MySQL client interface to login the connection is near instantaneous. I've traced the execution to the _SQLCIN.vi. It stalls out for 30+ seconds and then the rest of the execution is reasonable fast. Any ideas what the problem may be. Machine is a Windows XP Professional SP1, DELL, Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, with 2Gb of RAM.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,035 Views)
I don't know whether this is any help to you, but could it be a setting in you OBDC configuration? There is a post on similar behavior here. I don't know if this is even feasable for you, but can you replicate the behavior on multiple machines? How are you setting up the OBDC configuration in LabVIEW?

Regards,
E. Sulzer
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,019 Views)
I have the same problem on more than one machine.

The Tracing was set to off when using the Windows ODBC Administrator panel. As an experiment I enabled the tracing and ran my VI each time it took 28-29 seconds to login to Oracle. The log file was empty. I then disabled the logging and it still took 28-29 seconds to execute. The tracing is not the problem.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by how is the ODBC Connector configured in LabVIEW. I don't use LabVIEW at all to configure the ODBC Connector. Oracle ODBC connector was installed with the Oracle 8 application set. A new ODBC connector was then created using the Oracle OLE driver through the MS Windows ODBC Administrator panel. I did not use anything to configure in LabVIEW. The VI's I use are the SQL Connect and Disconnect. I use UID and PWD connector options to the SQL Connect VI.

Do you have any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,010 Views)
It just occurred to me that you said you were using the SQL Toolkit with LabVIEW 7.1. The lastest version of the SQL Toolkit was actually developed for LabVIEW 5.0 and it has long since been replaced by the Database Connectivity Toolkit. Do you have access to the Database Connectivity Toolkit, and if so, can you reproduce the same behavior with it?

Regards,
E. Sulzer
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,991 Views)
No I don't have access to the Database or Enterprise Connectivity Package. I am using the SQL add-on from the Professional Developer's Suite Nov 2000 Toolset Disc. The LabVIEW was upgraded to 7.1 from 6i.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,980 Views)
Unfortunately, the older toolkit (SQL Toolkit) has not been extensively tested with LabVIEW 7 and higher because the Database Connectivity Toolkit has replaced it. As such, I don’t have any information on why you may be experiencing this problem. It could very well be a symptom of some incompatibility. Perhaps there are other customers who have more experience using the SQL Toolkit with LabVIEW 7.1 who can offer their knowledge.

Regards,
E. Sulzer
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,970 Views)