LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock a SubVI on a BD

We can lock front panel objects.  But I would like to lock a particular SubVI on a block diagram so it's not deletable.  Is that possible?

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,197 Views)

I've never seen a way to do that.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,182 Views)

How about this:

thols_0-1618294723109.png

Or you could place a decoration box on top of it:

thols_1-1618294794201.png

Unfortunately, things on the BD cannot be grouped, so the decoration will not follow the sub-VI.

Perhaps this is something for the idea exchange.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,104 Views)

@thols wrote:

How about this:

thols_0-1618294723109.png

Or you could place a decoration box on top of it:

thols_1-1618294794201.png

Unfortunately, things on the BD cannot be grouped, so the decoration will not follow the sub-VI.

Perhaps this is something for the idea exchange.

That "Do not delete!" is like having a button like this:

dnp.png

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 4 of 7
(1,077 Views)

Just out of curiosity, what's the use case here?

The only thing I can think is that you're creating a template VI of some kind which then need to be modified, and you want to prevent anyone who modifies the template from removing some vital subVI.  Is it something like that?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,072 Views)

dnp.png

LOL The infamous "Don't Press" button... (I still remember that one from the 1970's "Super Friends" Saturday morning cartoon)

😛

I think a note on the block diagram explaining what the VI is for and why it should not be removed  should be enough.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,063 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

dnp.png

LOL The infamous "Don't Press" button... (I still remember that one from the 1970's "Super Friends" Saturday morning cartoon)

😛

I think a note on the block diagram explaining what the VI is for and why it should not be removed  should be enough.

I assume that you have already been in a situation where this happened, where someone wondered why a VI was even there, and decided to delete it. A comment connected to the VI that may be tempting to delete should be enough, yes, and of course there is better explanation text than "do not delete". To emphasize you could color the comment red perhaps, or perhaps:

thols_0-1618377604241.png

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,045 Views)