LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locating the Insane Object

I have the following message when I try to save a particular VI in LV7.1 + WinXP_Pro:

Insane object at BDHP+3A5F8C in "Wear Test.vi":{graphics}(0x80):Wire Segment(WIRE)

Searched through the forum and found that this is a common "event" going by the number of posts on same. Of particular interest was  Bob.Y's solution posted some 1 year back.

>>
1) Close LabVIEW
2) Put the key "LVdebugkeys=True"in the LabVIEW.ini file
3) Open your VI
4) Press CTRL+SHFT+d, then press CTRL+SHFT+h This will turn on an object browser.
5) In the top left list box, select the element that contains the name of your VI and the letters BDHP
6) In the top right listbox, find the line that begins with the error number (in your case 215D98)
7) Click on the F button
😎 Delete this object and recreate it. It will ususally be a wire.
>>

But unfortunatley it does'nt seem to work on my PC ( nothing happens at stage 4 ). Is there any workaround to invoke the Object browser ? In the meanwhile I am going to try and copy-paste the whole BD on to a fresh empty  VI.

Thanks

Raghunathan
Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,367 Views)

Message Edited by Evan on 04-17-2006 10:04 AM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,344 Views)

Message Edited by Evan on 04-17-2006 10:04 AM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,344 Views)
Here are 2 things you can try:
   Try LVDebugkeys=true  I am not positive it matters, but that is what I have in my ini file.

Hit Ctrl-Alt-D and still holding Ctrl and Alt down hit the H.  Make it all 1 key sequence, not Ctrl-Alt-D followed by Ctrl-Alt-H.

Message Edited by Evan on 04-17-2006 10:05 AM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,345 Views)

Actually, the correct capitalization of the INI key is LVdebugKeys=True.  But the capitalization doesn't matter on Windows.

-D

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,338 Views)

The pause between the two keyboard hits must be small enough to be detected, You probably are to careful

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,332 Views)
Well the idea worked. And the secret is the timing in between the key presses. You first press Ctrl and Shift and holding them pressed, proceed to press  "D" and  "H" in quick succession. Lo and behold a tabulation called "Heap Peek " opens and once into it locating the insane point is a breeze.

Thanks to all who helped me regain sanity.

Now for the obvious question : If LV  was smart enough to detect insanity, why not take the programmer to  that point directly without any circus ? And what is the effect of running a code with an insane object ? ( Probably  it depends on the level or instance of the insanity ?) In my case it happened to be the wire link meant for intializing a shfit register and hence not much of an impact. Possibly.

Raghunathan

Message Edited by Raghunathan on 04-18-2006 02:00 AM

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,309 Views)
Thanks Raghunathan for this thread,

We were on the quest to resolve insanities from a few years ago.  I was unaware of this trick.
These insane objects can drive anyone to insanity...  😉
It would be nice to have this as an automatic feature in LV.  I will post a link to this thread in the "LV wishlist".

😄

Message 8 of 9
(3,290 Views)
The feature could be called the sanatoriumindifferent smiley
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,274 Views)