LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locate "Standard" LabView VIs?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a legacy project that I am trying to debug, and I am new to LabVIEW. The project contains a number of custom VIs, but also uses a few VIs that I believe are "standard" library VIs. When I open the project, its asking me for the location of these standard VIs. However, a search of my hard drive doesn't locate these. One example is "niSwitch Send Software Trigger.vi". Is there an additional library or something I need to download for these?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,423 Views)

Yes

NI-SWITCH

What version of LabVIEW are you using to debug?  If it's an old one (2014 or earlier) you can't use the most recent NI-SWITCH release.

Message 2 of 9
(2,415 Views)

I'm using LabVIEW 2018. Perhaps my version of NI-Switch is old, as it doesn't seem to contain any VIs. Downloading the latest now. Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
(2,411 Views)

In addition to plain LabVIEW, you also need to install all modules, toolkits, and drivers that the old program required. Do you have that information?

(Since you only listed one example, there could be other missing parts)

Message 4 of 9
(2,410 Views)

Unfortunately, I am not sure, as the reason I'm working on this is that apparently the old NI controller died, and this is a new system that IT put together. So it may be awhile piecing it all back together. I was able to successfully locate some missing drivers for the controller, so the system SEEMS to show up correctly in NI-MAX now.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,402 Views)

OK, I am clearly missing something. I downloaded NISWITCH1851. A search in that folder returns NO files with .vi extension.  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,374 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jvavra

@jvavra wrote:

OK, I am clearly missing something. I downloaded NISWITCH1851. A search in that folder returns NO files with .vi extension.  

Downloading is typically not sufficient. You need to install it (and make sure to include LabVIEW support if that option exists. This will add the relevant VIs to your LabVIEW installation.).

Is your LabVIEW 32bit or 64bit?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,367 Views)

When you install it, it should put those in the LabVIEW folder where they should go.  Probably "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2018\instr.lib\niSwitch"

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,359 Views)

My bad, I swear I looked and didn't see any kind of exe to run, but went back and double checked, and sure enough, I needed to run the setup exe to actually install the NISwitch package. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,317 Views)