LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading VI message shows when running installed EXE

Hello all,

I am building an EXE and installer for an application in 7.X. Both the built EXE and the installed version run fine. Well, with one small exception. The when the installed EXE runs, for a brief second you can catch a glipse of the searching/loading VI message box before the program is done loading. So eventually it does run, it just does not look very... professional. The problem is apparent on both my development machine as well as a target machine with no LV development software. Also, I have duplicated this problem in both 7.0 and 7.1.1.

Again it is only the installed EXE that shows this message box. The direct exe runs fine. Both program directories are identical. All LLBs and support files are available to both.

Glen

Message 1 of 7
(2,550 Views)

This message appears when the apllication takes more than few seconds to load and show its front panel. That signals the user that indeed the application is doing something.

To prevent this, add another top Level VI in your application, a splash screen that will display a message while the main application loads itself.

Message Edited by JeanPierre on 07-14-2009 09:48 AM

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

Message 2 of 7
(2,537 Views)
The application currently uses a splash screen. It is happening before the splash screen comes up.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,530 Views)

Does the splash load the main VI or is it a separate Top Level VI?

It must load,open its FP and run quickly, independently of the main hierarchy.

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

Message 4 of 7
(2,525 Views)

All of the modules are lauched dynamically.

I think the issue is somewhere in the installation building process. Again, the directly build EXE works fine. Only the exe that comes out of the installer has this issue.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,508 Views)

I have had the same problem in LabVIEW 7.0 with a big application and this was solved by creating a separate splash screen launcher executable program that runs the main program executable using the ‘System Exec.vi’ and closes when it detects that the main panel window is open (there are various ways of doing this). This might seem a bit complicated but this method is useful if you want to automatically update the main software from the launcher etc. I’d be interested if there was a simpler way of doing this.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,501 Views)
humm... Its just that I never had this problem before on my old computer. This is the first time I try to build this application on a different machine. I made no code changes. I setup the machine with all the necessary support files and I even used the same build script. I even tried rebuilding all the LLBs. It used to work fine...
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,493 Views)