LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Jpeg and convert to 8 bit grayscale array?

Hi,

I am trying to load a jpeg image and convert it to a grayscale array (0-255 depth) but I am having an awful time.  I did this previously with the Vision evaluation module using image to array functions but I am trying to do it with the graphics pallette that is free.  Does anyone know where my problem lies?

I am loading the image with the Read Jpeg file.vi I selected use 8 bit color table and i then am using an unflatten pixmap to extract an array but clearly these values are not representative of the grayscale image pixel values (they seem like RGB Values).  I need the grayscale values so I can identify a dark edge by passing the array in a for loop and checking for a grayscale value.

So how do I upload a jpeg and convert it to a 8 bit greyscale array so I can get my edges?

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(14,048 Views)

Hi Chris,

to convert a RGB value to a grayscale value use this formula: "gray = 0.299R+0.587G+0.114B". To detect your edge see something like "Sobel-Operator", "Prewitt-Operator", or .... .

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(14,040 Views)

Mike I am not sure how to use the gray level formula you provided all I have is an array of integers.

But here is some more clarification of what i am trying to do and have done because I read my previous post and it seemed confusing.  Sorry about that Smiley Wink that was due to frustration.

I am loading and clipping a jpeg that is a monochrome image.  I want to turn this clipped image into an array that maps out the gray level (0-255) of each pixel in a 2 D array and I don't have IMAQ Image to Array function.  How would I do this with just the graphics palette included in the development edition of Labview?

I tried using the unflatten pixmap vi but the 8 bit output array is not what I am looking for the numbers are not 0-255 or seem to represent gray because it gives a color image when I display it.  How do I convert each number in the array to its 0-255 grayscale representation?  Attached are two pictures that show what I have.  As far as Identifying the edges I do have a vi that does this that I created from a program I made previously it just requires the grayscale 0-255 image array and thats what has me stressed Smiley Sad.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(14,022 Views)

Hi Chris S.,

here is an example for you. The formula is integrated. Hope it helps.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(14,012 Views)
Hi Mike,
your VI didn't work for me, since the RGB- Values are packed in triplets. I changed your VI, now it works.
greets, Dave
Greets, Dave
Message 5 of 23
(13,998 Views)

Hi daveTW,

my vi work in this way i want. Because Chris only want a 2D Array of grayscale values.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(13,985 Views)
Wow Mike,

That was exactly what I was looking for.  I am very impressed and delighted that people like you take the time to help frustrated folks like myself.

Tremendous Thanks,
Chris
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(13,975 Views)
Hi all, Im having the same problem, but I cant open this examples because I have the version 7.1. If somebody can help me with it I'll appreciate.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(13,375 Views)

Hi Anfego,

attached you will find a picture of the improved code.

Mike

Message Edited by MikeS81 on 07-22-2008 09:50 AM
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(13,339 Views)
Mike,
         Extracting a single plane should convert the jpeg image to a 8-bit grayscale image right?
Message 10 of 23
(13,332 Views)