From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of VI:s in a project?

Solved!
Go to solution

My project has been used in several clients test equipment. More or less every client needs some special VI:s that are not used in next clients testeq - but still are stored in the folder. Furthermore, the development process making some vi-files no longer needed and should be deleted. Some Vi:s are only test prototypes. This means that the folder growing in a way I don't like. Some times I can see VI:s that are used but aren't in the project (lvproj). How come? Some times they are created in lvproj and sometimes not. 

Question; Is there a way to cleanup the folder and project (.lvproj) from files (vi, ctl...) that are not part of the EXE-file? Some file-list that I can compare whats really in the folder?

I thought of mass-compile but that process does not alter the files date/time.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,418 Views)

Ouch!  Am I correct that your code is not under some form of Version Control?  The Good News is that you realize that you have a serious problem ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,398 Views)

I use git to keep track of the project. I can clone the project but if I do that, I get all the files in the folder, used and non-used files. Perhaps I can in some way use git to sort out which files are in use or not.

edit: I right clicked the project name in the Project Explorer.  There was a choice "Find Items with no Callers". I could export the file list and import it into Excel where I could sort the list and get important information.  Perhaps that is a way forward.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,380 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TakeANap

You might want to take this opportunity to do some refactoring of your project.  Break up the code into libraries.  You may even go so far as to create a new project in order to build the common libraries into Packed Project Libraries.  Each of your client projects should be in their own project and repository.  I actually copy the PPLs required for the application into the project folder/repository so I can lock down which version of the PPLs I used.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,354 Views)

@TakeANap wrote:

This means that the folder growing in a way I don't like. Some times I can see VI:s that are used but aren't in the project (lvproj). How come? Some times they are created in lvproj and sometimes not. 

The 'extra' VIs should be in project dependencies, that you can show by right clicking the root, and then View>Dependencies.

On each dependencies you can right click and select Why is this in dependencies or find callers. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,348 Views)

Ok. I understand how you thinking and how I should handle a project. I have never need to deal with this kind of projects before. Just small applications that contains 1-20 files.

I need to identify the main parts of the application and make a template of it - I think.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,337 Views)

I will look into PPA:s. It is time for that now. I can not continue as I do now.

I have read the headline about PPA but have thought it was too much for me at the time to read and use.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,334 Views)

@TakeANap wrote:

I will look into PPA:s. It is time for that now. I can not continue as I do now.

I have read the headline about PPA but have thought it was too much for me at the time to read and use.

PPAs? If your search doesn't give the right hits, search for PPL instead.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,298 Views)

Of course PPL. I had Linux-stuff in my head. 🙂

Message 9 of 9
(1,294 Views)