LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linx arduino connection in MacOS VM

So this one is a bit of a doozy. I have what for now is a very simple program that uses Linx to connect to an Arduino Uno. It works great in Windows, but I have some students that will be using a Mac. To try and test, I made a Mojave VM in VMWare Workstation, but am having trouble getting this .vi working. It seems to be attempting communication to the board - I can see lights flash on the Arduino - but I still get a 5003 error. I am mostly stuck not knowing if it is because I am trying to use it through a VM or if there is a problem with my .vi not working in MacOS. I've tried both passing the USB and the windows serial port, both getting the same error message after attempted communication.

Specs:

MacOS 10.14 (Mojave)

LabVIEW 2019

NI-VISA and NI-488 installed

Arduino Uno, Flashed in Windows and confirmed working with Linx

Thanks for any tips/pointers!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,982 Views)

Hello!

Can you confirm that the connection is passed through to the VM? I'd start by trying an independent method, such as a standalone serial console. I cannot recommend a specific one for MacOS, but there seem to be quite a few of them.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,915 Views)

Hmm should have tried that. So it does seem to have a connection as when queried the Arduino's LED will flash, but I'm unable to actually communicate when using the VM. I tried with the base Arduino app just to upload a simple blink sketch, but they all fail, saying:

Spoiler

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Sketch uses 924 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xff

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xff

avrdude: stk500_initialize(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xff

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1

Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override

this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xff

avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xff

This report would have more information with

"Show verbose output during compilation"

option enabled in File -> Preferences.

From looking up these errors, it seems to be something to do with the Arduino communication sending a reset signal, but I have 0 experience with this so may be off base. Not sure if this is to do specifically with the VMware causing some sort of communication change or if it is associated with being in Mac OS though. Either way, does not seem to be (directly) Linx or LabView related.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,897 Views)