LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linkage problem with class in a cluster

This problem is illustrated at 1:30 of this video.

If the output of a VI is a cluster containing a class, a linking problem occurs.

I tried to reproduce the problem in the simplest way. I uploaded 3 files (LabVIEW 2016 format) with this post:

Class 1.lvclass

Output Class-Cluster.vi

Use Class-cluster.vi

So Class 1 is simply an empty class.

"Output Class-Cluster.vi" creates a cluster containing Class 1 and outputs it as an indicator.

"Use Class-Cluster.vi" uses the output of "Output Class-Cluster.vi".

So, if you open any of the two VIs, no problem.

If you import "Output Class-Cluster.vi" in a blank VI that is not in a project, the VI breaks. The reported error is blank. As shown in the video, you can create a project, add the calling VI to the project when prompted, then create a cluster constant, and the problem is fixed. You can also close the VI, reopen it, force a re-compile and it should be fixed. A simple force recompile does not work.

If you import "Output Class-Cluster.vi" into a blank VI that is already part of a project, the calling VI breaks and the only way I found to fix it is close the project and reopen it.

I reproduced the problem with LabVIEW 2016, 2017, and 2018.

Am I the only one having that problem? Is there a simpler way to fix the linkage? Is there a way to permanently fix the linkage in "Output Class-Cluster.vi"?

Any information about that problem would be appreciated.

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,961 Views)

I'd say most VIs are created in a project nowadays. So either nobody noticed it, or if they did created a project and let it go...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,912 Views)

Using a project helps but until you save and reopen the project (and possibly force a recompile), the calling VI is broken and the block diagram looks like this:

Example_VI_BD.png

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,902 Views)