From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitations in Mobile Module

I have ported several large applications from Windows to LabVIEW RT and it was fairly simple. All the changes that had to be done were backwards compatible (i.e. the RT code can run on Windows as well, so you end up with 1 multitarget code) and without any loss of functionality.

I expected to run into a similar situation with the Mobile Module...but for some reason the limitations on the code are much more serious. Is this really necessary? Is VxWorks e.g. so much more flexible than CE 6.0, or is this an artificial limitation to make the RT platform more attractive when competing with SBCs running CE?

Something as basic as file constants (current VI's path e.g.) are not available (but it seems that it could have been; there is another function that returns system paths...so why not make it transparent that you run on a PDA target?), and another very big disappointment was the fact that the Run Method is not supported (I use it all the time for dynamic instantiation).

Limitations that can be fixed with cross-target compatible changes (like the use of pow instead of ** in function nodes e.g.) would not be that bad to handle, but the way the PDA module is now I'm left with two options; either rebuild the application from scratch (hopefully the required minimum functionality can be made) - or go for a Windows Embedded target instead.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(2,061 Views)