From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's go over how to set the origin... again... plz

Solved!
Go to solution

So search the internet and you can find plenty of forum questions regarding setting the origin of the Front Panel.

DailyDose_0-1675435924250.png

I remember doing this years ago and it worked exactly as desired.  Moves the dot of the Front Panel to the top left corner.

I watched a video of someone doing this and sure enough, moves it to the top left.  As a cherry on top, the demonstrator in the video presses their control stop (as in not abort execution) and the Front Panel remains in place.

I implement this now in LabVIEW 2020... press my control stop... and the Front Panel returns to its undesired location.... why?  Did something change in LabVIEW versions?

I noticed in one of the forum questions during my internet browsing that there were these "execute undos" or something.  Is that necessary now?  I'm not even sure what that is.

Help please.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,680 Views)

There is "menu...edit...adjust pane origin", which will move the crosshair to the upper left edge.

There is also the runtime position setting in vi properties that can do it automatically when you check the checkbox. This will return to the old origin when the VI goes back to edit mode, so it is important to do the first step.

Message 2 of 8
(1,658 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

There is "menu...edit...adjust pane origin", which will move the crosshair to the upper left edge.

There is also the runtime position setting in vi properties that can do it automatically when you check the checkbox. This will return to the old origin when the VI goes back to edit mode, so it is important to do the first step.

Couple of notes:

Adjust Pane Origin sets the Origin to my current position - great thing to know, but does not return my FP to the already existing origin

The Checkbox you're referring to seems to do exactly what the snippet of code does above and.... it does the exact same thing after you press the controlled stop.  Returns your Front Panel to wherever it was before you executed the code.

Before:

DailyDose_0-1675442990630.png

During:

DailyDose_1-1675443016482.png

After:

DailyDose_2-1675443051731.png

Am I missing something?

DailyDose_3-1675443090697.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,631 Views)

I'm trying to get the Front Panel to adjust permanently for development - not just during run time

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(1,629 Views)

@DailyDose wrote:

I'm trying to get the Front Panel to adjust permanently for development - not just during run time

Pan the front panel (using the tool palette... hand) the way you want it, the do the "adjust pane origin."

(Of course this does not prevent you from scrolling to a different place later.... I typically have the origin elsehwere so I can place some notes in the margins during development, but the run time window checkbox will fix it during run)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,624 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@DailyDose wrote:

Pan the front panel (using the tool palette... hand) the way you want it, the do the "adjust pane origin."

(Of course this does not prevent you from scrolling to a different place later.... I typically have the origin elsehwere so I can place some notes in the margins during development, but the run time window checkbox will fix it during run)

Not sure I'm explaining properly. Let's say I'm coding. And I throw down a control on the block diagram. And I double click said control to view it and move it on the FP. But the FP of course moves to wherever the control is and sometimes to the extreme where I don't even know what direction the origin is. So, I'd like to be able to click a button (in this instance I was thinking I'd just put it in the code to programmatically reset to origin, so the play button) and wahlah, I'm back to origin. But what keeps happening, the FP returns to wherever it was when the code stops... Which was oblivion. 

Is there a way to reset to origin without having to drag the FP around to find it and keep it there?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(1,615 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DailyDose

@DailyDose wrote:

Ctrl+Space Ctrl+o (Quick Drop Plugin: Reset Origin)

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 7 of 8
(1,612 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@DailyDose wrote:

Ctrl+Space Ctrl+o (Quick Drop Plugin: Reset Origin)

That is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,603 Views)