LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lazy Time Clock Punch Application

Hello! My company recently started using a time clock accessed through internet explorer. We punch in by opening the time clock in IE, then typing in our employee ID and then pressing the "enter" button on the timeclock or on the keyboard.

Punching out of the system works the same way.

I forgot to clock in twice this week and I started thinking about creating a LabVIEW application to clock me in once my computer boots into Windows in the morning.

I decided the best route would be for the timeclock to open in IE at startup, type in my employee ID and leaving the "enter" action to me, so random reboots throughout the day do not punch me in and out.

I was trying to think of a way to have this sequence occur at shutdown, giving me the option to clock out and couldn't think of anyway to do it.

Also I know how to open a URL in IE with LabVIEW, but is there a way to check if the page has loaded correctly before sending the employee ID?

Eventually I'll want to code the program in Visual Basic since I have a few other engineers interested in the application. All help and suggestions are welcome!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,073 Views)
The easiest method would be to clock in.  After that I would use a simple screen recording program like Perfect Macro.  Add add the EXE to the start up.  Not free but easy to implement.

Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,063 Views)
You can also try AutoIT3 (free).  Can build an EXE from it as well to be run on startup and can prompt you to login.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,058 Views)

jmpugh wrote:
Hello! My company recently started using a time clock accessed through internet explorer. We punch in by opening the time clock in IE, then typing in our employee ID and then pressing the "enter" button on the timeclock or on the keyboard.

Punching out of the system works the same way.

I forgot to clock in twice this week and I started thinking about creating a LabVIEW application to clock me in once my computer boots into Windows in the morning.

I decided the best route would be for the timeclock to open in IE at startup, type in my employee ID and leaving the "enter" action to me, so random reboots throughout the day do not punch me in and out.

I was trying to think of a way to have this sequence occur at shutdown, giving me the option to clock out and couldn't think of anyway to do it.

Also I know how to open a URL in IE with LabVIEW, but is there a way to check if the page has loaded correctly before sending the employee ID?

Eventually I'll want to code the program in Visual Basic since I have a few other engineers interested in the application. All help and suggestions are welcome!

Hmmm.  Sounds like Lazy Clock Punch Application is eventually going to turn into "I'm Not There Clock Punch Application".  Trying to find a way to beat the system?Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,046 Views)

Ravens Fan wrote:
Hmmm.  Sounds like Lazy Clock Punch Application is eventually going to turn into "I'm Not There Clock Punch Application".  Trying to find a way to beat the system?

While we did joke about that aspect, it would prove futile since we also have to badge in and out at the front door to even get in the building. They use the time from that system to measure time for the hourly employees. For some royally silly reason, they couldn't interface the RFID badge system with the attendance side of things, hence the addition of the new online timeclock.

The stupidity of it all is why I'm looking for a computer to do it.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,027 Views)

@jmpugh wrote:

This is possible.  Please review this Knowledge Base article (KB)

@jmpugh wrote:

There is no dirrect way in LabVIEW to do this, but I am sure there is a way you could program this functionality yourself. 

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,007 Views)