LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launch N-instances of same vi

@loba wrote:

From my Main VI, I need to pass a n dimensional array to n parallel instances of the same Sub-vi. Each instance will handle a single index of the array, do some logic, and return the output back to the main VI.

I know that I need to set them as reentrant in order to keep the give each istance an independent memory.

Can we restart once more with your problem description.

Later you talked about 15 parallel instances. Does that mean your array is 15 dimensional (WOW!)? Or is one of the dimensions of size=15? (Big (BIG!) difference). How many elements does each instance operate on and return? Are you talking about two different "n" in the same sentence? (It makes no sense to link the number of parallel instaces to the number of dimensions, i.e. 2 parallel instaces for a 2D array, 3 parallel instaces for a 3D array, etc.). Very confusing!

What is the "logic" and what do you mean by "independent memory"? Do the parallel instances actually keep internal state between calls or do you just want them to run in parallel in their own space?

How big are the arrays and how long does each "logic" take on average? Is this an extended calculation? What are your speed requirements? It is necessary to operate in parallel or do you just want the computations to be as fast as possible?

You cannot truly operate on all instances in parallel unless you have an equivalent number of CPU cores. Or is this for FPGA?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(1,010 Views)

Yes -- my "unrolling to three" was assuming his N = 3.  If N = 15, I would unroll to 15 (it's only Screen Space, at 32 x 32 pixels, so a stack 480 pixels tall if stacked vertically ...).

BS

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(975 Views)

But if N = 3 now, and N = 15 tomorrow, you have to rewrite your unroller.

My vote is to put them all into a pile and let LV sort them out...

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(970 Views)