From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laser Beam Quality Measurement (M^2 Measurement) using Image Processing (NI Vision)

Hello,

Is any body previously work on M^2 Measurement of Laser Beam?

If yes, then Please help me out need Little guidance. 

I am trying to make a VI which determine Laser beam quality and measurement using NI Vision. 

I have a average command on Vision. But, this i am not sure How should I processed?

Any help will be appreciate.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 6
(2,846 Views)

In order to provide any suggestions, can you elaborate a little more on what you are trying to measure? What constitutes as a good quality beam? Is this light intensity? Shape of beam? Size of beam? Etc?

Once you determine what makes a good beam we can then determine what processes you can take to measure those conditions.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,784 Views)

Basically, the Laser Beam Determination based on,

Light Intensity

Shape of the Beam

Background Correction

Centroid position X Y

Defining the cordinate system to Beam 

Recording the beam location and calculate the change in the location

Size of Beam

Beam Quality in % 

Thanks,

Parth

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,782 Views)

Are you using Vision Assistant by chance? There is a good tutorial on all the different functions that can be utilized with NI's vision software linked below. 

Even if you're not using Vision Assistant (which I would recommend doing) you can also create this same functionality with IMAQ VI's in a LabVIEW project as well.

NI Vision Assistant Tutorial

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/372228m.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,762 Views)

ok. I used Vision previously for other kind of diagnosis. 

Do you have any idea about how can i find the intensity profile of the laser beam using IMAQ?

Thanks,

Parth

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,759 Views)

I've never personally done it, so I can't really say. But this form post talks about a few approaches to get the intensity profile. I hope that's helpful!

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/To-Extract-Intensity-Profile-from-Image/td-p/138356

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,756 Views)