LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Block diagram cleanup problem

Solved!
Go to solution

Seeing a strange behavior in my project.I can't see any of my shift register nodes on the while loop. Some of them disappeared when I used the block diagram cleanup tool. My block diagram spans to two monitors width and is pretty complex. Is there any solution to this? Also are there any third party plugins that is solely utilized to clean up the code? The clean up doesn't seem to be working for large block diagrams.

LabVIEW_2020-01-28_13-50-05.png

NI System Configuration:
- NI PXIe-1071, 4-Slot 3U PXI Express Chassis , 1 GB/Slot throughput, Part Number: 781368-01
- NI PXIe-PCIe8381,x8 Gen2 MXI-Express for PXI Express Interface,3m, Part Number: 782522-01
- PXIe-5160 PXI Oscilloscope, 500 MHz, 10 bits, 2.5 GS/s, 2 Channels, 64 MB, Part Number: 782621-01
- Astronics PXIe-1209 2-Channel, 100 MHz PXI Pulse Generator, Part Number: 785033-01
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,242 Views)

Posting your code would be the best way to get help. It looks like from the one picture that you did post that the part you showed the vi is covered by the loop. Try to open the loop to see if things are covered up. There is also a setting in LabVIEW that will show covered items.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,235 Views)

That's the problem. I can't post the code. Could you please tell me about the setting in LabVIEW? I am using 2019 version if that's of any help.

NI System Configuration:
- NI PXIe-1071, 4-Slot 3U PXI Express Chassis , 1 GB/Slot throughput, Part Number: 781368-01
- NI PXIe-PCIe8381,x8 Gen2 MXI-Express for PXI Express Interface,3m, Part Number: 782522-01
- PXIe-5160 PXI Oscilloscope, 500 MHz, 10 bits, 2.5 GS/s, 2 Channels, 64 MB, Part Number: 782621-01
- Astronics PXIe-1209 2-Channel, 100 MHz PXI Pulse Generator, Part Number: 785033-01
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,228 Views)

You have two problems:

1. You used the block diagram cleanup tool.  Never do that; it just makes things worse.
  2. You got an obscenely large block diagram (don't do that either).
"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 4 of 7
(3,223 Views)

I always say, "If the block diagram cleanup tool makes your code look better, then you're doing it wrong."

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,215 Views)

@asukumari wrote:

That's the problem. I can't post the code. Could you please tell me about the setting in LabVIEW? I am using 2019 version if that's of any help.

Ctrl-L

Click the "Show Warnings" box.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 6 of 7
(3,146 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author asukumari

@asukumari wrote:

My block diagram spans to two monitors width and is pretty complex. Is there any solution to this? 

With regards to that bit, you might find the tools to create subVIs from selections of code useful (Edit > Create SubVI).

If your code is large and complicated, your first step should be trying to reduce the local complexity - make it possible to identify which bits do what.

SubVIs with suitable names and icons will make it much less complicated to understand, whilst conveniently also reducing block diagram size (for a single VI - the total may well increase depending on if the subVIs are repeatedly called or not).

GCentral
Message 7 of 7
(3,084 Views)