LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop and NI PXIe-1078

Hi,

I currently have a computer connected to my chassis but the computer is a windows 7. However, I have tasks I want to perform on a separate laptop instead. Is there a way to run LabVIEW on both the computer and laptop with same hardware?

I'm not sure I worded that appropriately.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,060 Views)

Can you elaborate on the setup?  From what I am reading it seems as though you want to connect 2 computers at the same time to the same DAQ?  

-ncm
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,032 Views)

Essentially yes.

The computer in question is built into the chassis. So, the chassis acts as it's CPU.

Now, I want to connect the laptop.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,023 Views)

When I use a PCIe, I access it with the computer that is hooked up to and communicate to it directly, there is no way to have a laptop be able to access it physically.  Can you physically connect the PCIe with the laptop after it is installed in the chassis?  Also, why do you need a second computer, can you not use the first?  Sorry for so many questions, still trying to figure up your setup and see what you are trying to accomplish and the best way to do so.

-ncm
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,012 Views)

It sounds like you have a PXI system with a Controller running Windows 7, and accessing the hardware plugged into the PXI chassis through DAQmx.

Another (better?) way to use a PXI system is to run a Real-Time OS on its Controller, either PharLap or Real-Time Linux (my PXIs are fairly old, so I run PharLap).  When running in this RT mode, the entire PXI Chassis becomes the Remote Target for a Host PC system connected to it via a TCP/IP connection (often through a second NIC on the Host machine, connected through a direct connection for optimum data transfers).

If you want your PXIe Controller to run both as a Host and as an RT Remote, you can do that by setting up dual-booting on its Hard Drive.  This can be tricky to set up -- I've always avoided it, myself, choosing to use the PXI as a LabVIEW RT Target only.  You can find more information such as this by searching the Web (try "Dual boot PXI").

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,966 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

It sounds like you have a PXI system with a Controller running Windows 7, and accessing the hardware plugged into the PXI chassis through DAQmx.

Another (better?) way to use a PXI system is to run a Real-Time OS on its Controller, either PharLap or Real-Time Linux (my PXIs are fairly old, so I run PharLap).  When running in this RT mode, the entire PXI Chassis becomes the Remote Target for a Host PC system connected to it via a TCP/IP connection (often through a second NIC on the Host machine, connected through a direct connection for optimum data transfers).

If you want your PXIe Controller to run both as a Host and as an RT Remote, you can do that by setting up dual-booting on its Hard Drive.  This can be tricky to set up -- I've always avoided it, myself, choosing to use the PXI as a LabVIEW RT Target only.  You can find more information such as this by searching the Web (try "Dual boot PXI").

Bob Schor

Could you please further explain how to run a real time OS on the controller, I'm having a hard time following

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,945 Views)

What is the Controller you are using?  it would be the wide module in the first Slot.  I believe the link Gregory provided shows how you install Linux RT on certain Controllers.  I haven't worked with "modern" PXI systems (mine is more than a decade old), but generally the Controllers ran either Windows (and not an RT-OS) or Real-Time -- to get them to run both required some "Partition Magic" to create a dual-boot system (which has its own problems and peculiarities.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,915 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

What is the Controller you are using?  it would be the wide module in the first Slot.  I believe the link Gregory provided shows how you install Linux RT on certain Controllers.  I haven't worked with "modern" PXI systems (mine is more than a decade old), but generally the Controllers ran either Windows (and not an RT-OS) or Real-Time -- to get them to run both required some "Partition Magic" to create a dual-boot system (which has its own problems and peculiarities.

Bob Schor

PXIe-8821

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,913 Views)

So the controller currently runs windows on a PC, and it's an embedded controller. What I'm trying to do is run LabVIEW on a separate laptop using the DAQ card connected to this chassis. 

Is this possible?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,907 Views)