LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview schematic to FPGA board?

Hello. I'm a student here and I have no knowledge of Labview or FPGA. I have only been looking at online tutorials but I still don't have a firm grasp of what I should be doing.

I have installed Labview 2012, FPGA addon, and Realtime. I have a simple schematic to generate a simple signal. I have attached the image.

I have NI Digital Electronics FPGA Board 781025-01 with Xilinx Spartan chip.

I'm trying to test a simple circuit I built with some signals generated by FPGA board. I'm trying to use the schematic and somehow get the necessary signals out of the FPGA board if that is possible. I have used Simulink and DSpace for this purpose but DSpace had some limitations. 

What steps do I need to take and how is this done?

So far the only knowledge I have is:

- I may be able to generate VHDL code from the blocks in Labview. Then, somehow use the code to reprogram the FPGA chip.

What I don't know is:

- I have been looking at the training slides and it mentions Create New Project > Right-Click on My Computer > New > Targets and Devices. But I do not see this option either.

- When I Right-Click on the Project:Untitled, I see the Targets and Devices option. But then when I click it, I do not see the FPGA board that is connected to the PC and turned on.

- Do I need to have FPGA blocks attached to my schematic to make it work? If so, where and how?

- How do I let Labview know that I want to reprogram the FPGA board? How do I initialize the process?

- If the reprogramming is successful, where do the signals come out of the FPGA board?

Capture.PNG

2.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,667 Views)

let tell thing

not all lab view function avaliable for labview fpga

so be carfull and under stand diffrerenc between labview fpga and labview

reagrds

hi ?Q>

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,636 Views)

If you haven't already gone through it, I would start with the LabVIEW FPGA Tutorial video. It will walk you through everything from a high-level so you know how things work.

http://www.ni.com/swf/presentation/us/labview/lvfpga/default.htm

Essentially, you don't have to deal with VHDL or any other tools. You write your program in LabVIEW and let the IDE compile, download, and run the code on the FPGA.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,632 Views)

Thank you for letting me know about the IDE. I had no idea about that. 

But how do I implement the FPGA blocks to my schematic? I have no idea which block to use. I can't find a good tutorial/training slides anywhere. 

Once I incorporate the FPGA blocks to my schematics, clicking on 'Run' should do the trick automatically right?

Right now, my computer is having trouble detecting the FPGA board itself. I have spoken to a tech support engineer about it and he said he would get back to me. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,621 Views)

Because the Digital Electronics FPGA Board does not support automatic discovery of the target, make sure to add the target using the same mechanism noted in the help as if the target were not installed to your PC

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371599H-01/lvfpgahelp/adding_an_fpga_target/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ulWxOyOfgM#t=2m20s

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,560 Views)