LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview "hung up" when launching TeraTerm program using System Exec.vi

Greetings,

This is probably low hanging fruit for most of you. I am using LabView 2010 BTW. So I launch TeraTerm using the system exec.vi but labview gets "hung up" in the run position. Standard inputs can be seen in the attached image. I use the same exact manual method by opening up cmd.exe with no problems. In all actuallity even using the systemexec.vi TeraTerm launches just fine. It's just the labview progarm itself that hangs up in the run position. I've noticed in Task Manager that labview is drawing about 99% of my processor during this process. It's like it won't release.

Any help would be appreciated. And before anyone asks Smiley Happy yes I do need this functionality. It will be programmatically controlled at a higher level (test stand) to supply a user with a "debug" mode for my specific application. So launching TeraTerm, which is sniffing (listening) a receive line is needed for certain circumstances. And BTW I have checked, and no other comm ports are being used.

Again, any help would be nice. I know not a lot of information, but I'm sitting here thinking if there's anything else and I can't think of anything. It's a new computer, only 2 comm ports being used, I open up external apps with system exec.vi all the time. Maybe I'm having "a moment" here :).

Best Regards,

Chazzzmd

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,986 Views)

I call TeraTerm from inside LabVIEW from within TestStand, but I have to close the com port from within inside LabVIEW before I call TeraTerm. Then once TeraTerm closes (returns to LabVEIW) I then reopen the comport.

Are you trying to have both LabVIEW and TeraTerm open the same comport?

There are some comport monitor software that will "sniff" (display com traffic) but you need to have them in place and running before you run LabVIEW. 

Omar
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,980 Views)

Omar,

Thanks for the reply. I actually don't think it's a comm port issue. I just tried changing the system exec.vi to launch roxio and it does the same thing. For some reason labview is "hanging on" in the run position until the external application being called is closed. My issue is I need the external application (teraterm) to remain open and for labview to "complete" it's run (i.e system exec.vi).

At this point, comm4 is doing nothing, it is closed prior to launching system exec.vi. I'm not even asking teraterm to do anything at this point. I just need system exec.vi to open teraterm (which is does now) and not get stuck in the run position.

Do you see anything wrong with the syntax maybe? The standard output of the system exec.vi does look exactly how it does if you manually launch teraterm from cmd.exe

Question!! When you launch system exec.vi to open teraterm does the labview program complete its run (not get stuck). Or do you do whatever you have to do in teraterm then kill it.

Thanks again,

Chazzzmd

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,976 Views)

System Exec.vi

wait until completion? (T)

Set this to false

Omar
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,974 Views)

Omar,

Okay, so I knew that wouldn't work cause I already tried, but it DID force me to stop and think. Since the wait until completion when false disables your standard input it forced me to realize that my command line is where my FULL argument needed to be. Geez, talk about a "moment". Been working with too many .bat files 🙂

Thanks again.

Chazzzmd

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,970 Views)